Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #1

Fairing Options

Since purchasing my Nomad 1600, I have noticed that there are over half a dozen options when selecting a front fairing. While it appears that premeux is the top of the line in fairings, I am wondering if anyone can comment on the other options and how they compare to the premeux.

Additionally, for those who have attended the Nomad Rallies, which fairings stand out most, if any?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #2

Fairing Options

OK I'm cheap! I bought a broken HD fairing and repaired it with JB Weld. I made the mounting brackets myself and my son painted my fairing. I paid $155 for my fairing on ebay. I have about $9 in the steel for the mounting bracket. The paint was the worst. The red is $88.50 for 1/2 pint and $45 for 1/2 pint of the black. With the primer and other supplies I have about $300 in it. I made the windshield from scratch resistane Lexan, $25 on ebay. A guy gave me a broken HD fairing for the wife's bike and since I had paint, steel and Lexan left over from mine I have about $12 in her fairing.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #3

Fairing Options

BUMP!

Wanted to see if others were willing to comment on the experience of selecting and installing their fairing.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #4

Fairing Options

I can't compare mine (Wide Open Customs) to other models as I've never seen them in person. I'm a woodworker, not a metal worker, so I couldn't make the brackets myself or I might have tried to get an H-D fairing.

Wide Open is less expensive, at least initially, than the Premeux, and Tsukayu, but it's also somewhat of a do-it-yourself kit. You have to find a painter that you can trust and afford, and you have to wire up the stereo. If you're the kind of guy that wants to take it out of the box, bolt it on and go, then I imagine Premeux is the way to go.

When it's all said and done I may have saved a couple hundred dollars over the Premeux, but Wide Open Customs is 175 miles from me so I could drive over, talk to the owner in person, and pick it up. And a couple hundred dollars is enough to add on a light bar, or gas for 3200 miles of riding for me! :)

Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #5

Fairing Options

If you use a Harley fairing they have an inner fairing that has mounting holes for gauges as well as a stereo. They look really good when installed. The other brands of fairing either don't have an inner or its just plain and you have to cut all the holes for whatever you want to put in it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #6

Fairing Options

I have a Tsukayu (can never spell that right). Bought it used at reasonable price and it's a pretty good unit. Very simple to mount (unless you have cobra light bar and risers which made things a little more challenging) and was pre wired and so easy to wire up to bike. At about $600 for the finished product installed I am very satisfied.
That said, Cliff (VulcanE) has the premux on his 06 and on our recent parkway ride I got to look it over. It's a better unit than mine. I know that I would not spend $1500-2000 for any fairing but if you are some body contemplating buying a new, retail, turn key solution I'd say that the top of the line premux is a very good choice.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition