Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
Bouson, are you sure the Odometer is wrong? Historically, even thought the speedo is off, the odo is right on. I know that's how my '05 Nomad was, I haven't double checked the Vaquero.
Check it out.

If the Odometer is wrong, that's more of an issue. My wife and I recently bought a used Infinity SUV via private party. When I questioned the speedo accuracy, the dealer said there had been a recall and fixed it - part of the fix was to roll about 3000 miles off the odo to compensate for the past life of error. instant equity
No I haven't checked the odometer yet.

When I corrected the 10% speed error on my 900 classic to less than 3% the round trip mileage to work changed from 23.21 miles to 21.73 miles per all mapping the way I go is 21.1 miles. When you consider that the same device measures mileage for both I would expect the error to be in both.

Guess I'll check it to see though.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
Two good ideas above (LOL) but the fact is the odos just failed to match up.
Could be both are off by half of a precent.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #93
Top Contributor

How did they fix the leak ?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC RED VAQ View Post
keven said he could not macine the parts down dose not have a shop but used gasket maker to make the two sides stay togather what ever he did it worked. Thanks keven at Wehrle Bros. in Vandalia IL
Glad to hear they got it together for you. Are you running stock setup?

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #95

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC RED VAQ View Post
Just got my vaq back from Wehrle Bros. in vandalia il fixed my intake leak and stearing head bearing problem its like riding a new bike rained all the wqy home but had to watch the turns and cournes lot more power and no more back fireing and popping. Iam so happy can't wait to ge tit on dry payment even the exhaust sounds better deeper rumble idles lower throttle responds quicker. I can't belive the difference Thanks Guys
GLAD TO HEAR....engines run so much better without intake vacuum leaks!!

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
Bouson, are you sure the Odometer is wrong? Historically, even thought the speedo is off, the odo is right on. I know that's how my '05 Nomad was, I haven't double checked the Vaquero.
Check it out.

If the Odometer is wrong, that's more of an issue. My wife and I recently bought a used Infinity SUV via private party. When I questioned the speedo accuracy, the dealer said there had been a recall and fixed it - part of the fix was to roll about 3000 miles off the odo to compensate for the past life of error. instant equity
Checked the odometer today on a 10 mile run it showed I had rode 10.5 miles and on a total 18.6 mile ride it showed 19.6 miles. So that means the 5% error is on the speedometer and odometer.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #97

2011 vaquero mods hyper charger pro pipe 2-1 power commander V Everything else is cosmetic too much to list. I was so happy with my 2006 nomad. Thought Vaquero would be a great platform to get the look and performance I was looking for. Got it looking great. :) To be quite honest with everyone... I am just about ready to trade mine in for a Harley. I wish I could find someone like Ray up here in Maine. Dealt with dealer time and time again put intake gasket from thunder manufacturing. Made it worse verses better. The backfiring on decel drives me absolutely nuts. Kawasaki tech rep told them temp sensor must be in air flow to work properly. My mpg good 44 still smell unburnt fuel . I know I have vacuum leaks. Not having any luck with the dealership I bought it from. Great guys just knowledge is truly lacking, motivation selling not service. I am going to take it to a performance shop as my next step with the info from this thread and see what they can come up with. More money, more money... This will be my last attempt. I just hope that they can do this work. For all that post should have left it stock. Issues there with it stock. The history from new too long to post. Wish me luck

Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #98
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by denturist1 View Post
2011 vaquero mods hyper charger pro pipe 2-1 power commander V Everything else is cosmetic too much to list. I was so happy with my 2006 nomad. Thought Vaquero would be a great platform to get the look and performance I was looking for. Got it looking great. :) To be quite honest with everyone... I am just about ready to trade mine in for a Harley. I wish I could find someone like Ray up here in Maine. Dealt with dealer time and time again put intake gasket from thunder manufacturing. Made it worse verses better. The backfiring on decel drives me absolutely nuts. Kawasaki tech rep told them temp sensor must be in air flow to work properly. My mpg good 44 still smell unburnt fuel . I know I have vacuum leaks. Not having any luck with the dealership I bought it from. Great guys just knowledge is truly lacking, motivation selling not service. I am going to take it to a performance shop as my next step with the info from this thread and see what they can come up with. More money, more money... This will be my last attempt. I just hope that they can do this work. For all that post should have left it stock. Issues there with it stock. The history from new too long to post. Wish me luck
What octane fuel do you use? Do you have the autotune?

Last month I was riding on the freeway passing a many mile long bike week procession and I was nearly asphyxiated by the unburnt hydrocarbons emitted by the long string of mostly HDs. You'd think whoever tuned those bikes would know how to tune...I imagine those engines will need a rebuild sooner than a stock engine too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #99

Quote:
A few suggestions...first, was the hose that feeds fresh air from the air box to the exhaust
blocked off...this is a must.

Second...were new exhaust port gaskets used when the V&H exhaust was installed? Some feel they are re-usable, they are not. And if they are re-used and there are no exhaust leaks that is purely by luck! New exhaust port gaskets must have been installed. Even small leaks will cause major popping.

Third...sounds like something was screwed up in the installation of the Thunder gasket as popping on decel will NEVER increase with the installation of the gasket.

Third..I have also found intake leaks between the intake manifold and the intake ports. Kawi uses a what I call a "floating mount" to attach the manifold to the heads. Not a good design
that lends itself to leaks. These areas must be checked for leaks.

Fourth...has any adjustment/re-adjustments been made to the PCV? Is it the fuel only model or is it the ignition mapping capable unit?

You are most welcome to call my shop so I can ask even more questions, I know we can get to the bottom of this.

RACNRAY
Shop nmber 954-455-9665 TILL 3 PM TODAY Florida time, PM me for my cell nmbr if calling after 3pm

Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-11-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #100
Sr. Contributor

Yeah, you wouldn't expect worse popping.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #101

Thanks RACNRAY I will surely be calling you. I did not get back on this forum until 10:30 pm. This has been a year long journey, with the only good information coming from you. Such a long story. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again in advance. Roger P. Martin Denturist1

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #102

Thanks to Racnray for the advice. Everything is working out great since the mods. Added a little fuel to the 0%throttle no backfiring. Still need to have it dyno tuned. life is good again. :)

Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #103

Quote:
Thanks to Racnray for the advice. Everything is working out great since the mods. Added a little fuel to the 0%throttle no backfiring. Still need to have it dyno tuned. life is good again. :)
GLAD TO HEAR...my mom had a magnet on the frig door that said..."when momma is a happy, everyone is a happy". Substitute mom with Vulcan and that saying still holds true!!

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-30-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #104
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
A few suggestions...first, was the hose that feeds fresh air from the air box to the exhaust

Second...were new exhaust port gaskets used when the V&H exhaust was installed? Some feel they are re-usable, they are not. And if they are re-used and there are no exhaust leaks that is purely by luck! New exhaust port gaskets must have been installed. Even small leaks will cause major popping.

Third...sounds like something was screwed up in the installation of the Thunder gasket as popping on decel will NEVER increase with the installation of the gasket.

Third..I have also found intake leaks between the intake manifold and the intake ports. Kawi uses a what I call a "floating mount" to attach the manifold to the heads. Not a good design

Fourth...has any adjustment/re-adjustments been made to the PCV? Is it the fuel only model or is it the ignition mapping capable unit?

You are most welcome to call my shop so I can ask even more questions, I know we can get to the bottom of this.

RACNRAY
Shop nmber 954-455-9665 TILL 3 PM TODAY Florida time, PM me for my cell nmbr if calling after 3pm
Curious... I have the older fuel only model PCV. I'm running V&H pipes and the stock air box with a K&N filter. Right now I have very minimum popping on de-acceleration if I really roll off of it in lower gears. I'm getting ready to have the bike Dyno'ed. With my current setup, is the fuel only model PCV okay or would there be a great benefit from switching it out with the ignition model? I bought the fuel only model from a forum member that sold his Vaquero.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #105
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post

RACNRAY
Ray:

Let me qualify my last post. The model I have does not have the two wires that plug into the ECU as shown in the picture below. What type of unit do I have and will it be sufficient for my set-up above?

VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750