Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bikerjohn
Changing Side Bag Handle on 1600 Nomad

I was wondering IF anyone has ever tried to change out the Saddle Bag... Side-Bag Handle... on their Nomad?? The Handle p/n is 46003-1505 ... There are many parts to this handle assy... before I try to change it I wanted someone elses opinion...
You can see the parts break down on either the install manual for the 1600 Nomad on this site or at www.cheapcycleparts.com parts breakdown index.
The inside of the bag outer door, has a inner black panel bonded/glued to the outside piece. This kind of restricts you If and when You remove the snap rings, shaft, two springs, and four collars. To gain access to the inside parts you remove 4 screws and the access plate just inside of the handle assy.
Mine got scratched up, the day I broke my left leg, so Since I already have the new part, I wanted to ask you all, before I proceed. ???
Thanks for any information you all can provide...
Biker John :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #2

The guy who painted my bike took mine off and fixed the scratches then painted it. The only thing he told me about it was he had to be real careful not to let the springs go flying. I guess some of them are real small.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bikerjohn

Yep....... Two springs, two snap rings, two collars inside the springs, two collars outside of the springs .. all that goes thru the shaft which goes thru the handle and the outer panel...... It's one of those... once you start, there is no turning back. I have spare parts... but quite frankly, ain't looking forward to it.
John

Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to dabull

I was thinking it would be tedious, and with the springs i KNOW they would zing by my ear never to be seen again...good luck!

Aloha

Derry

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #5

I had mine off when I painted the doors. I can tell you they come off WAY easier then they go on. That's been seven years ago and that's about all I remember. I'm thinking a third hand in there might be easier. Someone to hold the pieces or to watch where they go.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #6

I would agree with 01nomad. I replaced one of mine the summer before last because it was scratched.

It comes apart very easy and the springs can fly-out; however they did not for me.

Getting the assembly back together was tricky and in fact, I had to try repeatedly in my attempt to re-assemble it. (a certain "pin" will not seem to go back in its spot -- but it will if you work with it)

If I were you; I would take your time and note exactly how it comes apart. It will look deceivingly simply in how the spring and a "center-pin" comes out and goes back in.

It took me the better part of a hour to get it back together -- however it has worked perfectly since.

You will be tempted (or wish) to separate the two plastic pieces of the "door" section. Don't try to pry it open -- it will break. (it would be easier if you could separate the two pieces but you can't)

So; take your time; look at the original closely; be creative in how you slip the pieces back-in (they will go back in); cover your bag-door with something so you don't scratch it while working; and last but not least -- drink your beer after you are done -- you'll need then.

Good luck and think positive.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417