Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

V&H slip ons installation

Hello to everyone, I just received my slip ons this morning from PhatPerformance Parts. They were only $379.95 with the 10% discount. They didn't have any instructions in the box. I'm waiting on my Thunder Air Kit (stock cover) tomorrow. I got my Cobra fuel processor a few days ago from twowheeladdict (thanks again). How hard is it to install the pipes? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

The pipe are real simple to install. Remove the bags, undo the header clamps, then remove the two bolts holding the oem pipes and wiggle off. reverse order to install. They sound great on my 09 :)

Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Thanks thetallman.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Reyn View Post
Hello to everyone, I just received my slip ons this morning from PhatPerformance Parts. They were only $379.95 with the 10% discount. They didn't have any instructions in the box. I'm waiting on my Thunder Air Kit (stock cover) tomorrow. I got my Cobra fuel processor a few days ago from twowheeladdict (thanks again). How hard is it to install the pipes? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Its about a 20 min job, my header gaskets stayed in the head pipes so just loosened everything and slipped out the stock pipes and slipped in the V&H's. You will need to take off the short piece of chrome from the left side stock pipe and put it on the V&H, you will see after you pull off the old pipes. The V&H sound good on the 1700!
James

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Vance & Hines slash cut slip-ons
Cobra Powerpro CVT
Thunder Air Kit, stock cover
Kuryakyn Power Point 12v adaptor
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

Well, I finally had time to install my Vance and Hines H slip ons on my Voyager today. I love the look and sound. The install was very easy and took about an hour. I took it for a short test ride (10 miles or so) and the exhaust is much better than stock. Cobra FI2000 and Thunder Air Kit stock cover kit this weekend. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Ive been thinking about the V&H for my 09 Nomad. So how loud are the on the highway? I'm worried about them being to load on those long road trips....

Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #7

Do the cats come off with the stock mufflers?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #8

No the cat is part of the head pipe. The two seperate just below the cat.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
Do the cats come off with the stock mufflers?
The cats comes off with the old pipes on the 1700. I couldn't resist firing up the Nomad with the right side muffler off... the wife came running out and it set off the neighbors car alarm! lol. The V&H pipes are just right for me, I wouldn't want them any quieter or louder. They are fine on long road trips.
James

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Cobra Powerpro CVT
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

James, Did you do the fuel, air & exhaust upgrade? If so did you do them all at once or in steps? I would like to get the pipes first but don't want to blue them because I didnt start with the processor.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
James, Did you do the fuel, air & exhaust upgrade? If so did you do them all at once or in steps? I would like to get the pipes first but don't want to blue them because I didnt start with the processor.
I haven't done the air intake or fuel processor yet, I hope to do it this summer. I'm thinking about the Thunder air kit and the new Cobra CVT fuel processor.

Your header pipes chrome won't turn blue, the real header pipe is separate from the chrome part that you see, and the slip-ons don't get that hot. And my bike runs just fine with only the slip-ons. I did plug the air line inside the right side air intake to cut down on popping on deceleration.

If I do the rest in steps and already have the slip-ons, the fuel processor would be next then the air kit.
James

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Cobra Powerpro CVT
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
JF, you can change just the exhaust pipes without having to worry about a fuel management system...however... if you change out the air intake, THEN you have to install a fuel management system because your taking in more air and it effects the air / fuel mixture

Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #13

Well so much for my patience and deciding what to do first.... Last night I ordered all three ( :
Cobra slip on's with billet tips (I was a little afraid the V&H might be to loud for me)
Cobra FI200R fuel processor
Thunder Odyssey air kit

Now I must have patience while waiting for everything to arrive. But the extra time at work to pay for the added $400 will keep me busy.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #14

Hey folks, I got my Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor and Thunder Air Kit installed today. The install for both pieces was relatively easy, it took about 1.5 hrs for both pieces. I noticed a better exhaust note than with the V&H slip ons alone. The performance is better. I can't comment on the gas mileage as of yet, I only put about 50 miles on it today. I did notice a little more noise (intake), but it sounds nice to me. I didn't like the plastic nipple that is provided with the Thunder Air Kit (metal would be better). I am interested to know from those with similar set ups what they have their pots set at.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #15

Congrats Big Reyn! What Thunder Air kit did you get? Keep us updated with your processor fine tuning. Mine will be in next week I hope.