Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

My Decade of Nomads

I bought my first Nomad 10 years ago this month.

I had planned on getting a classic, but as soon as I saw my first Nomad, I changed my mind. I have had a nomad for all of the past decade, except for the six months I lived out of the country.

I've had two 99's, one new, one used. An 05 used. And my 06 purchased new.

I've been to all the states on my map on a Nomad. I've taken pictures and posted many here, other's have been turned into Youtube videos.

I've gone 90,000 miles on Nomads. I've slowed down, if I kept pace with my first Nomad I'd have 150,000 miles.

There have been changes since I bought my first one. When I bought mine, the backrest had to be purchased as an extra if you wanted one. It only came with a two year warranty, and could only be extended for two additional years.

Nobody knew what it was, and had never seen one. I didn't see another one on the road for a long time. Then in Southern Utah I passed one going the other way. It was my first sighting of another; it is still pretty rare to pass one, but there are 10 years worth of them out there now.

In the past 10 years of Nomad ownership, I've run out of gas twice. Ok, three times, but two of them were on the same night :(

I had to walk to a closed station in the middle of the night. The station was closed, but you could fill up with a credit card. I looked around the trash for a bottle (snapple?), and put gas in it. Walked back to the bike and dumped it in. It wasn't enough to get me back and I got smart and called AAA for some gas :-[

The other time was on a trip with my son, and a head wind was so strong that I ran out of gas (including reserve) at 90 miles. It was 100 miles between stations :-/ You can get a long way from towns in rural Utah.

I've camped in campgrounds, farmers fields, and desert wilderness on my Nomads. I've headed out with only a vague notion of where, and hoped that I'd find a suitable place by sundown. Sometimes the suitable place was better than others.

I've headed out on a 3,800 mile solo trip with nothing but a vague notion of wanting to see Mt. Rushmore and the Mississippi. I had no idea what states I'd be traveling through and just winged it. I did find on that trip that you can shower at truck stops for a small fee. Good to know when you are camping.

I've ridden through rain, hail, light snow, thunder and lightning, and one night a couple of miles away from a tornado. I've been hot, warm, cold, and damn cold.

I’ve encountered bugs and more bugs. Some sting you on an eye brow and send you knocking on a strangers door for a good mirror and borrowed tweezers, some fly into your helmet and buzz in your ear making you think you are about to get stung.

Others form thick clouds near waterways in the evening near sundown and just about completely cover your windshield. Others are big and hit your windshield with a thunk sound as if flipped your finger hard on your shield.

My all-time favorite was fireflies, and seeing them for the first time in my life, lighting up near the edges of the road near the Mississippi in Iowa. Then having some pass near your head while moving at highway speed leaving what looks like a 20-yard tracer zinging past your head. Then getting a direct hit on the windshield and watching the splat glow for a short time on the shield.

One thing about the shield, all the bugs stuck on it at the end of a long ride, weren’t stuck on your head and chest. I like that about Nomads.

I've been in the most remote places of the 48 lower states riding alone, and been awed by the aloneness of nobody but me and a dirt road that nobody will likely be passing on that day. I've probably been on more than 1,000 miles of dirt roads easily.

I've ridden on 1,000 mile days and everything in between. I've been tired enough to pull over and try to find some grass to sleep on, and been kicked awake by a cop asking for my ID 7 minutes after falling asleep. I'm thinking napping in my Lexus would get me a free pass on that one.

I've been flipped off a few times, waved at by kids a lot more times.

I've let kids rev the engine in parking lots (with parents ok first). I've listened to old people tell me about when they had a bike "like that" way back when. I've had hotties tell me it was nice and ask for a ride. I had one want more (she didn't get it :) ) The oldest person on my bike was about 80 years old (two different ones) women both times. Chicks dig bikes :)

This is becoming a long post, and I need to get dinner going. I just thought I'd share some random thoughts on my Decade of owning a Nomad.

Here's some more from after dinner.

I've talked with other bike riders in rest areas, gas stations, restaurants and scenic areas. Riders who ride out on the open road are a different type than those who commute, and they like to compare notes when they see like minded riders.

I've been invited to share the fire of other riders, and invited to share a camp spot when the whole place was full by a couple camping with their BMW bikes.

I've been looked at like I was trash, and I've been looked at with awe by the non riding public.

I've been thought of as adventurous by some, as a suicidal maniac by others. I've been lectured too, and asked by others who are really seeking to know.

I've had girlfriends who loved it, and some who hated it. I've got a wife who has gone from kind of liking it, to tolerating it.

I've been invited to stay at other peoples houses in other countries, and took one up on it, just because we like the same brand of bike.

I've been invited to stay at other peoples houses that didn't own a nomad, and took one up on it, just because we ride bikes, but not necessarily Nomads.

I've seen places the car driving members of my family will never see. And there is a lot more of the country to still see.

I've used up 10 rear tires and a few clutches. I've only had one set of brakes added. I've gone through a few headlights, and only one fuse.

I'm using the same leather jacket that I bought my first summer on a Nomad. I've surprisingly had non riders comment on the "character" worn into my jacket and they like it.

Other than the mentioned gas stories, I've never been stranded by my bike. Not even in town. I've had an engine out twice, but never stranded. I've almost gotten myself stuck out in the wilderness before, but always made it.

I love Nomads.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #2

My Decade of Nomads

Most people will never get to see most of the sights you have seen. It sounds like you have had a wonderful time on the best bikes on the road!!! I think you will be the envy of a lot of bikers on here . Ride Safe!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dabull
My Decade of Nomads

nice chronology of your Nomad memories;)

Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #4

My Decade of Nomads

Nice musings there Dan!
Thanks!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #5

My Decade of Nomads

Great stuff Dan it was a very inspiring read for me and I Know that in 10 years of owning Nomads I will be able to say the same even though I am doing it on another continent and of course that is Australia and yes my house and door is always open to another like minded friend or Nomad rider cheers Dan.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #6

My Decade of Nomads

I hope to be able to say the exact same thing nine years from now when I reach my first decade of owning a Nomad. Thanks for sharing

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Advanced Member

My Decade of Nomads

As I look outside at 10" of snow and a temp of 10, read your story; I now shake with withdrawals, damn you. I know I won't be able to ride for at least another 4+ weeks.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #8

My Decade of Nomads

Great experiences Dan. Enjoyed reading them.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #9

My Decade of Nomads

Great read, Dan. Didn't stop once. Strange urge to go for a ride.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Advanced Member

My Decade of Nomads

I love my Nomad too.

Here's to another 10 years of Nomadic adventures for you Dan.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #11

My Decade of Nomads

Nice, Dan. You the Nomad Man - Nomad Dan as you were once known on another site.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #12

My Decade of Nomads

You're so the real deal, and I'm glad to know you. I feel honored to say I've ridden some of those roads in Utah with Dan - Run Dan, Run......

Ron

Old 02-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

My Decade of Nomads

Wow Dan...I wish I had your free time. :)

Some nice memories there, eh?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #14

My Decade of Nomads

Good stuff Dan. The "thread" I saw in your posting was the element of uncertainty; and freedom... something one either "gets" or they don't.

Personally... I "get it".

Thanks for reminding me.

Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #15

My Decade of Nomads

Great post, Dan. I really enjoyed the read. And yep, I envy you. This will be my first time going over 10,000 miles in a year. Can't imagine what memories are instore for the other 140,000.

Here's to another two or three hundred thousand more!

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT