Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #31

Fuel Processor?

my 08 nad performance was so bad when i bought it i would have got rid of it had it not been for the fi 2000. here were my main complaints. poor throttle response making it tricky to sync shifts, mostly 1rst to 2nd. choppy at low speeds and when taking off from a dead stop. lack of power. i now use 89 octane with no problems. these bikes are way to lean from the git go. compared to my v-star 1300 it was miserable to ride. i have the fi 2000 on my v-star also. now it far surpasses my 1300 for smoothnes and tractibility. the star will still blow it's doors off but the nad has all the normal riding power i need. i also have the cobra true duals, and pro charger air cleaner. it is a real pleasure to ride now. it may be my favorite bike of all times.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #32

Fuel Processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshwetz
I have an 07 Nomad with the cruise control mod filling the left side cover. Any one with this mod have any ideas where i could mount the fuel prosessor.
i have my cobra 2000r mounted on the outside front of the left side cover with velcro. looks good and you don't have to remove the side cover to tune it. to remove the side cover i just pull the processor off and move it out of the way.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #33

Fuel Processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarleybill08
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshwetz
I have an 07 Nomad with the cruise control mod filling the left side cover. Any one with this mod have any ideas where i could mount the fuel prosessor.
i have my cobra 2000r mounted on the outside front of the left side cover with velcro. looks good and you don't have to remove the side cover to tune it. to remove the side cover i just pull the processor off and move it out of the way.
Are you concerned about getting caught in the rain. I would think you would want to keep the electronics as dry as possible.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #34

Fuel Processor?

I have an 06 Nomad with V&H Dual Baggers, BAK and Cobra FI2000R. The pipes were already on when I purchased it a month ago. I know the bike was running lean because the heatshield on them were a bronze color due to excessive heat from running lean. First thing I did was install the fuel processor and noticed it was easier to start and didn't hiccup between first and second. After installing the BAK I noticed a definite improvement in performance.

Just returned from a 200 mile road trip and had no problems at all. I don't know what gas mileage I'm getting, but I'm not too concerned about gas mileage, just want a bike that runs right. When it needs gas, I just put more in.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #35
Top Contributor

Fuel Processor?

Snarlybill. Your comments are my experience exactly. I too was almost ready to sell the Nomad not long after I bought it due to the same complaints you mentioned. A Dobeck TFI, and a 9" air cleaner kit (K&N) made the bike much more fun (and safer) to drive.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #36

Fuel Processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nad
Quote:
Are you concerned about getting caught in the rain. I would think you would want to keep the electronics as dry as possible.
i doubt it will ever get wet. i don't ride it in the rain. i ride my v-star in the rain cuz it ain't as pretty as my nomad. lol. speaking of wet electronics, i had my sirius radio on my venture and got caught in a horrendous storm. the radio filled up with water. it quit working for a week. when it dried out it started working again. it's now on my wing and it works great.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Fuel Processor?

I added the Cobra FI2000R and did the debaffle. I am well satisfied with the results. Seems to run better and cooler. The debaffle gives it a little better sound. One thing I would add for sure and that is a battery maintainer. Keeps the battery charged up and should make the battery last longer. It is always at its peak.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #38

Fuel Processor?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nad

i doubt it will ever get wet. i don't ride it in the rain. i ride my v-star in the rain cuz it ain't as pretty as my nomad. lol. speaking of wet electronics, i had my sirius radio on my venture and got caught in a horrendous storm. the radio filled up with water. it quit working for a week. when it dried out it started working again. it's now on my wing and it works great.
First rule of riding...as soon as you say I don't ride it in the rain, you will get caught in the rain. Glad to hear your radio pulled a Lazirus.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #39

Fuel Processor?

I came in late on this so please bear with me. I just got my 05 1600 in October and, unfortunately living in MO, I haven't really had a chance to ride that much, but I have noticed the hesitation at lower speeds. Right now everything is stock (have not done a debaffle either), from what I have read adding a Techlusion TFI will eliminate this. Is that correct?
If so, I guess that will be my first modification. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #40

Fuel Processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo
I came in late on this so please bear with me. I just got my 05 1600 in October and, unfortunately living in MO, I haven't really had a chance to ride that much, but I have noticed the hesitation at lower speeds. Right now everything is stock (have not done a debaffle either), from what I have read adding a Techlusion TFI will eliminate this. Is that correct?
If so, I guess that will be my first modification. Thanks in advance for the help.
The "hesitation" you mentioned is the main reason I went with TFI which instantly cured that problem.......plus all the other improvements; runs cooler, improved mileage, more pep, etc.
Have never regretted going with TFI.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #41

Fuel Processor?

Will it work okay stock? Is debaffling necessary or helpful?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Fuel Processor?

It will work very well stock. Debaffling the stock mufflers does little or nothing to improve performance. A TFI does all the things dk dixie mentioned above although in my case mileage has suffered a little but in my opinion that is a small price to pay for a bike that is much more enjoyable to ride.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #43

Fuel Processor?

If I recall correctly, last November, when it was pretty cool up here in Manitoba, I set the dials according to the Cobra manual and my gas mileage took quite a dip, but the sound was great and I think I had quite a bit more bottom end power too. From what I've been reading, the cool weather probably had the greatest impact on the gas mileage numbers.

So, should I be adjusting the dials according to the ambient temperatures? And if so, does anybody have a chart of suggested settings?

To give you a hint at the type of driver I am, I never expect to set Dial # 3 to anything but "0" :-) but I do want as much smooth take-off power and roll-on acceleration as possible, within reason.

Regards,

Greg

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Fuel Processor?

Rear the thread....

The TFI is fairy water resistent, if mounted where water doesn't get to much. I would say it is water tight, buthere is a plug you remove, made like a grommet, so if you try real hard you could probably find some fubarr way to prove me wrong.

I assume Cobra has a like plug.

I have no idea about PC III's unit.

Setting up all the instructions tell you which clock dial numbers to select. These number are with in reason close, but there are better ways to set the units up, starting at the begining, for 2 pots.

The first pot is set up at ilde and you can hear it right now.

The 2nd pot is set up on a trial and error basis, depending on what you call twisting the wick. This can take several runs at a setting to tell if you got wacked in the pants or not, and then trying more, and repeating that, and then again more, till you either chicken out, get busted by the cops or last blow black smoke, and how you know is no bugs have lived to bite you while you twitter with a pocket screw driver.

I helped a guy here, and the last thing I recall he was riddin into the sun set screeming Thar She Blows!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #45

Fuel Processor?

LMAO!!!

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#