Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Vaquero intake leaks

OK...had time Tuesday to check my skoot for intake leaks. Mark removed my intake so we could do the spray test. I use Maxima Chain Gaurd to check for leaks due to it's viscosity and tendancy to stay where we spray it. It is white in color and if there is a leak i will see it get pulled into the leaky area and disappear. Not only was there leaks between the throttle body and manifold, but there are leaks between the manifold and intake ports on the heads. I ordered new o-rings for both areas.

I found a surprise when examining the throttle bodies. The flat surface where the o-rings sit on the t/b DOES NOT mate up against the manifold as should be. At each mounting bolt hole there are stand-offs that space the flat surface of the t/b's AWAY from the manifold. There is very little compression of the o-rings, which at this point on my bike they should have a flatness to them, and they don't. I will remove the t/b and machine these stand-offs to allow better sealing of the o-rings.

Where the manifold attaches to the head concerns me. The new o-rings are relatively thick, so unless there are machining irregularities that have to be corrected these new o-rings will be installed with Three Bond 1211 sealant.

Pics will be following.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 12-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.