Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
NOPE...not true. Think of how much fuel our skoots would be dumping into the atmosphere in that scenario if that statement was true.

Addressing decel popping is not rocket science. If your skoot was dyno tuned then unless something that is wrong with the skoot was NOT rectified b4 the tuning process(intake and exhaust leaks,kleen air system not plugged up, bad plugs, etc.) then most if not all popping on decel can be accomplished during the tuning session.

Some skoots with the added on performance stuff can be a bit, oh shall I say "cantakerous" and require more time in addressing decel popping, but I have found IF the required time is spent going in the RIGHT direction gains in elliminating problems can be achieved.

RACNRAY
I am not familiar with the "kleen air system not plugged up", can I coax you into filling me in?
Meanwhile, I will search the blog.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post
I am not familiar with the "kleen air system not plugged up", can I coax you into filling me in?
Meanwhile, I will search the blog.
This is the system that supplies air into the exhaust ports to minimize emmissions. It is well kno w that this system contributes to popping on decel,

AND.....this system has to be rendered ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY inoperative during dyno tuning if the exhaust is sampled for a/f ratios. It will produce false a/f readings if not disconnected.

Check with the tuner to find this out.

RACNRAY

Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #138

You are correct Ray, the fresh air system was not plugged off. I'm done. I will ride through the winter, and have the final military move to make soon. Before summer breaks I will get it to you to get it right, tired of amateurs.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #139

The fresh air system MUST BE PLUGGED OFF/RENDERED COMPLETELY INOPERABLE b4 ANY accurate dyno tuning can be done. On skoots I tune that DO NOT have a popping on decel problem (prmarily sportbikes) we clamp the intake hose shut for the tuning process, then remove the clamp so the system returns to normal operation. This helps minimize the heavy fuel smell.

If ur skoot was mapped with that system not cancelled out your whole tune has been compromised, check with the person who tuned ur skoot to find this out.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 10-15-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #140

Well Ray Thursday I did the throttle body/ intake manifold reseal and what a difference hardly any decal pop really the little pop I did have seems to be gone, and it seems to be running smoother. Fun thing it seems to be shifting smoother too.
Replaced the throttle body seal and a new Thunder gasket and also the intake manifold seals with the Three Bond 1184 gasket sealant on all mating surfaces.
Ray thanks for that info and the pics. Was not hard at all to do and even though my bike is under warranty I know this was sealed right.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc3210 View Post
Well Ray Thursday I did the throttle body/ intake manifold reseal and what a difference hardly any decal pop really the little pop I did have seems to be gone, and it seems to be running smoother. Fun thing it seems to be shifting smoother too.
Replaced the throttle body seal and a new Thunder gasket and also the intake manifold seals with the Three Bond 1184 gasket sealant on all mating surfaces.
Ray thanks for that info and the pics. Was not hard at all to do and even though my bike is under warranty I know this was sealed right.
GREAT TO HEAR...lots of work but well worth it. Your experience is another very positive example of how a not so great design can and does compromise the way these 1700,s run and when it's rectified the results are positive.

RACNRAY

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #142

I did this same thing to my Nomad when I added the Mean Streak injectors this winter. Mating surfaces weren't flat from the factory. So I taped some wet/dry to a surface plate and sanded until smooth. I just used a new seal, no sealant.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 04-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #143

Did anybody ever decide if this was rectified on the 13 vaquero? I've only got 150 miles on mine and don't really wanna tear it apart yet.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Grimm View Post
Did anybody ever decide if this was rectified on the 13 vaquero? I've only got 150 miles on mine and don't really wanna tear it apart yet.
From what I have seen all the 1700's are manufactured the same, so all 1700's have the potential to have intake leaks.

RACNRAY

Old 04-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #145
Top Contributor

All 1700's have the potential for intake leaks but not all 1700's have this problem.
Mine does not have any intake leaks that I can tell.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #146

I guess I'll have to take it apart and check it out when I get the chance.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #147
Top Contributor

Why take it apart if you are not having issues ?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Why take it apart if you are not having issues ?
Because it's something that will bother me until I know for sure.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #149
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Grimm View Post
Because it's something that will bother me until I know for sure.
I know what you mean, but does your bike idle like crap when warm and backfire big time on decel? I mean a real backfire...not the little baby popcorn noise we all make....if the answer is no...you know for sure. You are ok.

That said, like you I will be putting the gasket on even though my answer is no. :)

Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #150

A VERY IMPORTANT ITEM....the Thunder intake gasket MUST be used with a sealant. The gasket paper's composition is what I call "dry", it does not contain a sealant that other gaskets do. 100 % sealing can only be truly achieved when sealant is applied to both surfaces of the gasket.

RACNRAY