Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #1

Dust Boot

I have been thinking about checking my drive shaft when I pull the rear tire off to change it. How much trouble is it to change the dust boot on the front of the shaft? I read the factory manual but would like an opinion from someone that already did it. Does the shaft slide through the swing arm and come out the back? ???
I had a slight drip on the rear drive assembly that slung a film of oil or grease (black and doesn't smell like gear oil) on the rear wheel. I almost think it is from the grease I put on the splines the last time I changed the tire. My rear drive hub was still full of oil. I think I may have a front drive u-joint going bad. It makes a funny noise at steady cruising speed (50-60) but quits if I pull the clutch in.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #2

Dust Boot

Drive shaft still spins with the clutch in. With the bike moving that is. The shaft is still connected to the rear whell. The clutch disengages between the motor and the transmission in the front of the transmission. Your noise is maybe something else.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #3

Dust Boot

I found a link that has a lot of pictures that goes along with Gadgit's info for the shaft maintenance.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/.... 2-22-07-a.html

Maybe the noise is only while the shaft is under a load.

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #4

Dust Boot

You may be right. Keep us informed.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #5

Dust Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom45
I have been thinking about checking my drive shaft when I pull the rear tire off to change it. How much trouble is it to change the dust boot on the front of the shaft? I read the factory manual but would like an opinion from someone that already did it. Does the shaft slide through the swing arm and come out the back? ???
I had a slight drip on the rear drive assembly that slung a film of oil or grease (black and doesn't smell like gear oil) on the rear wheel. I almost think it is from the grease I put on the splines the last time I changed the tire. My rear drive hub was still full of oil. I think I may have a front drive u-joint going bad. It makes a funny noise at steady cruising speed (50-60) but quits if I pull the clutch in.
Zoom45
You can remove the drive-shaft without removing the swing-arm. However, to replace the boot, you would have to remove the swing-arm.

Gadget's site gives good instructions to these projects.

If you're throwing grease due to recently adding it to the system, I'd sling and clean for awhile until it quits. If it doesn't quit soon I'd service the rear end. Now this is just one guy's opinion based upon the limited information we have here.

I agree with Skeeter - in that if the noise you're hearing is a whining noise (not yer O'lady), I would suspect your bevel gear (main engine shaft) may be going away.

I lost one at 18K miles on a '03, VN1600.

Hope it works out in the best scenario for you........

Login or Register to Remove Ads