Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I spoke to a forum member yesterday that had seen this thread when I first posted it and had disasembled his Vulcan Classic and found a few interesting things.

First his posts were taller than mine by about .006". The sealing surface on the intake manifold was warped by about .010", and the o-rings that seal the manifold to the intake ports had small tears in them.

He has a friend that owns a machine shop, so he had the throttle body machined flat and block sanded the intake surface flat. He had put it all back together with new o-rings quite some time ago but the weather and road conditions where he lives prevented him from riding his skoot, till yesterday.

His findings were the acceleration was very much improved, the backfire on decel was reduced about 50%, and he had a hesitation since new, even after his ECU was replaced that is now completely gone.

I experienced the same improvements so from what i see here the occurance of some percentage of vacuum leaks may be plaguing Vulcan owners.

I have a customer that just bought a Vaquero, he has some strange things happening with it's low speed running, so after he has the skoot broken in it'll be here for dyno work and to check him for vacuum leaks. He currently has about 600 miles on it so as soon as he gets 1000 miles he'll bring it in. I'll report back then.

RACNRAY
And Mucker had no issues with his throttle body when he disassembled his 1700 engine: http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvu...msg=105848.143

It's a good thread and shows how well the 1700 engine is engineered. Mucker did this to put the revised gearing and piston rings in his 1700. The Mucker is a motorcycle mechanic by trade.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11