Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #16

Yup... short lived. Looking forward to the details. fingers crossed 4 ya!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Worst part about this whole thing is knowing what needs to be checked, and how long it should really take. There's nothing that's really hard to get to. Just takes a special connector to go over the pins on the plugs that I don't have. I'm guessing it would take two hours, tops, for me to do this in my driveway.

But since I do have the warranty, at least if it is the ecv, I only pay $50 for the deductible instead of the $750 plus labor.

Good thing I have two bikes. Not riding at all would drive me nuts.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Another update.

So the dealer says they talked with Kawasaki and they think the ECU is bad. From what the shop told me, they aren't getting any voltage to the ECV, so that would be a bad ECU. Far be it from me to question them, but I think I'll stop by and talk to them in person. There is also a relay that should be checked too. If they don't check it, then they ordered a $800 part that still won't work because of a $40 relay.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #19

Keep us posted - will be interesting to know what the final answer is...

Old 09-20-2016, 02:07 AM   #20

Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Another update.

So the dealer says they talked with Kawasaki and they think the ECU is bad. From what the shop told me, they aren't getting any voltage to the ECV, so that would be a bad ECU. Far be it from me to question them, but I think I'll stop by and talk to them in person. There is also a relay that should be checked too. If they don't check it, then they ordered a $800 part that still won't work because of a $40 relay.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Any updates?
Waiting for the new ecu to come in. If I get a chance, I'll call them later today and see where it's at.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #22

Will you get it re-Ivanized?

Quote:
Waiting for the new ecu to come in. If I get a chance, I'll call them later today and see where it's at.
If they determine that the issue was in the ECU - Will you send it back to Ivan for a Reflash? Will he charge you a second time? Will the ECU issue be under Warranty?

Things that make you go Hmmm....

Old 09-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
If they determine that the issue was in the ECU - Will you send it back to Ivan for a Reflash? Will he charge you a second time? Will the ECU issue be under Warranty?

Things that make you go Hmmm....
I told them I need the old ecu, and they said that wasn't a problem. I'll send that one back for Ivan to test and see if it is indeed bad.

I don't think the reflash had anything to do with it going out, otherwise we'd have seen more of this. I'd like to send the new one off if the old one is bad, but our budget is too tight now for it happen before next year.

I think it all falls under the Sh!t Happens clause. It just seems to happen to me a lot more than normal.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
I told them I need the old ecu, and they said that wasn't a problem. I'll send that one back for Ivan to test and see if it is indeed bad.

I don't think the reflash had anything to do with it going out, otherwise we'd have seen more of this. I'd like to send the new one off if the old one is bad, but our budget is too tight now for it happen before next year.

I think it all falls under the Sh!t Happens clause. It just seems to happen to me a lot more than normal.
Talk with Ivan you never know what he may or may not do if you don't speak to him about the old one. Maybe he will give you a discount if he reverses the old ecu and flashes the new one at the same time. Ask it can't hurt.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #25
Advanced Member

So I've been meaning to call them, but keep forgetting until after they're closed.

Called yesterday morning. The ecu they ordered was backordered, but had come in the day before. Should have it in later and give me a call.

I mentioned the relay and got a very confused "What?" for a reply. Explained to him if the relay is not working, it won't matter what you do with the ecu. Said he'd check with the tech, was sure he probably did.

Waiting on a call back. Thinking of what all it takes to test any of the parts needed. Take the seat off for the ecu and relay. Maybe take the air cleaner off for the ecv, but you can still easily get to the plug to test it. Busy schedule today and tomorrow, but Saturday if I haven't heard from them, I may ride the old bike up to surprise them.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
I mentioned the relay and got a very confused "What?" for a reply. Explained to him if the relay is not working, it won't matter what you do with the ecu. Said he'd check with the tech, was sure he probably did.
Don't let your flashed ECU out of your sight until you have confirmed the new ECU fixes your problem. It would be a real shame if they ship it back to Kaw for the warranty claim and the new one didn't help you.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Don't let your flashed ECU out of your sight until you have confirmed the new ECU fixes your problem. It would be a real shame if they ship it back to Kaw for the warranty claim and the new one didn't help you.
Made that very clear that I want that back. Nice that Ivan marks them, I'll now if it's a switch.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #28
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with the dealer. Says it's running fine now with the new ecu. Hooked the pcv back up and he said it got a flashing light, so they were worried the pcv is causing the problems. Just said to leave it unhooked.

They do have my Ivanized ecu, so I'll have to get with Ivan on that. Would like for it to be tested to see if it really is bad. If so, I'll have the new one sent to him eventually.

Just be glad to get the bike back.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Have them try the flashed ecu without the PCV.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Have them try the flashed ecu without the PCV.
Since it's under warranty, I'll do that when I get home.

May have a new/hardly used ecu for sale soon.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash