Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #31
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Since it's under warranty, I'll do that when I get home.

May have a new/hardly used ecu for sale soon.
They are letting you keep the old ecu? Surprised MaKaw does not want it back. That is very cool of them.

Yea, you will sell that new ecu here in a heartbeat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #32
Advanced Member

I told them it was a fairly new one, and needed it back.

Afterwards, I worried they may try to deny the claim. But since it's not through Kawasaki, I'm pretty sure they see this as easy money for them. Get full price from the warranty people and they have no idea about the old one.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #33

So, will you be selling the stock ECU without Ivan's flash?

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #34
Advanced Member

Quote:
I told them it was a fairly new one, and needed it back.

Afterwards, I worried they may try to deny the claim. But since it's not through Kawasaki, I'm pretty sure they see this as easy money for them. Get full price from the warranty people and they have no idea about the old one.
Ohhhh, so it is a third party extended warranty. Now it makes sense.

I call first dibs on your ecu if you sell it. :)

Old 10-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #35
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Ohhhh, so it is a third party extended warranty. Now it makes sense.

I call first dibs on your ecu if you sell it. :)
You'll be the first to know!
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #36
Advanced Member

Things certainly got interesting.

Got a call yesterday afternoon. Bike is ready. Said the ecu fixed it. Then say the warranty doesn't cover it.

Ok, so who's paying for it? I had made it very clear all parts had to be approved. The service manager said he understood that. So they have the bike for a month. Told them when I dropped it off, along with a copy of the warranty brochure cover for their phone number to call and get an order started. They got the part in on Tuesday. Called the warranty people yesterday and found out it's not covered.

They say the bill is right at $1000.

Trying to figure the best way to handle it. Court seems like the best way. That means picking up the bike, peacefully, paying the bill and serving them papers.

Now I also understand I still need the part. Could say I'll pay half. This is clearly your service departments mistake. Could mention court, but say I'll be nice.

Lastly, and it ain't gonna happen, I could just pick it up and pay for it with nothing said.

And I'm still not entirely convince it was the ecu. What kind of warranty am I getting?

As if I don't have enough things going on.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #37
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then say the warranty doesn't cover it.
First question that needs to be answered is why isn't the warranty company covering it?

And for our education, who is the warranty company?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #38
Advanced Member

They're owned by EFG companies.

I'll call them today as well. Also calling the place I bought it from first to confirm what level they sold me. Two levels. One is a list of everything they will cover, which it's not on the list. The other covers everything except what is listed. It's not on there.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #39

Didn't we accept the Risk?

The thought that crosses my mind is - I wonder if Ivan would like a look at that ECU that was diagnosed as defective?

At any point during this process - Did you talk to Ivan?

Now the second part of me say's that - Well we all kinda knew that if we Ivanized it would probably VOID any warranty on the ECU. Or at least that is the Risk that I personally weighed prior to sending it off to be re-flashed. Also - this is why I had my Dealer send the ECU off to Ivan instead of me sending it. My dealer is very good when it comes to things like this.

I know that doesn't help your situation, but we all made a choice that the added power and rideablitiy was worth the risk of Voiding the ECU against any ECU issues - Even those not associated with Ivan's Reflash.

Now - You could tell the dealer to put your old ECU back in the bike and let them return the New ECU. Your fight should be with the Warranty folks for not honoring their warranty.

I know that's not what you want to hear - but.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #40
Advanced Member

I haven't talked to Ivan. My thought process on that was, what good will it do till I get the part back. I know the first thing he would want is to see it. He's a busy guy so I thought I'd be taking up time from his business until I had the part.

The store manager and the service manager both have said Kawasaki would warranty it no questions asked. I don't think the see enough of them to know what Ivan's mark even means. Unfortunately, it's not a Kawasaki warranty.

I understand the flash may or may not cause ecu issues. I think I said this before, but I file the part failure under the "Sh!t happens" clause.

I said they could put the old one back in, and I'd trailer it back to the house. I can get a used one for $400. Of course, they said that was a bad idea. But they do have the old one and I'll get it back regardless of the outcome.

The two warranty's offered is another issue. Initially I called the place I bought it and the bike from. Their shop was really backed up, but I could take it to another one and pay the $50 deductible. Sounded good at the time. Even called them today to see what level I had. They said they were pretty sure that part should be covered. But to call EFG to be sure. EFG has a recording to call the place you bought it from. I did get a person there and they said I had the lessor policy.

I will be stopping by that dealer either today or tomorrow with the paperwork I have and see if I did buy the better one, but am being cheated by EFG. Trust me, if I am I'll post all their info in another thread, on facebook, BBB and possibly rent a sky writer.

At this point, the dealership is making some calls to see what they can do. I did remind them I'm not a guy who just dropped off a bike, I'm a former customer who has made some large purchases there. And not in a way to sound intimidating, just to say I have spent money there before and was happy enough to come back and buy additional items and trust the service.

Rant over, I'll post more later.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #41

Good luck on your quest to resolve this issue.

Part of my thinking of Ivan looking at the ECU is that Maybe it's a Software issue and not a Hardware issue which he may be able to fix. Where the only option your dealer has is to replace it to trouble shoot.

<I think I said this before, but I file the part failure under the "Sh!t happens" clause.>
Sorry I missed this (or didn't remember) but great attitude!

Maybe the moral of your story for others is to Really READ the small print on the Warranties that we shell out our money for. I'm lucky - I will have the opportunity to purchase a Kawasaki Extended Warranty when the time comes. And I'll buy it from my Dealer because he is the one who will go to bat for me if ever needed.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
<snip>...
Maybe the moral of your story for others is to Really READ the small print on the Warranties that we shell out our money for. I'm lucky - I will have the opportunity to purchase a Kawasaki Extended Warranty when the time comes. And I'll buy it from my Dealer because he is the one who will go to bat for me if ever needed.
Maybe the only purchase warranties fro Kawi? I bought a Warranty from RPM on the 2010 Nomad. Had an issue that didn't work out so well there either.
Will extend the Kawi warranty when that letter arrives...
Reads like the dealership is trying to do right by their longtime customer.

Ride safe,

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 10-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #43
Advanced Member

The sales staff there is really nice, and are good people. I've read complaints before about slow work in the service area. I would say yes in my case. But they haven't been rude to me.

Biggest problem with always working on your own bike? When you really do have to take it somewhere and don't know of any place you trust more than yourself.

In six months, this will all be stuff in the rearview mirror and I'll be smiling down the road.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #44
Advanced Member

Cleaned up the computer desk at home a few weeks ago. Got all the paperwork I need to save in folders and envelopes. Dug out the one on the Vaq to see how the warranty was marked. (which box they checked)

Only three boxes. The best warranty is only good if you're still under the manufacturers warranty, so it wasn't that. Another was trike conversion, so not there. Last one was out of manufacturers warranty. Not checked but they did take that as the default selection.

Also had a menu from Applebee's fall out. Apparently, I have a few flaws in my filing system.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 10-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #45
Advanced Member

Finally got the bike back home. Made it out of their driveway, which was further than last time I went to pick it up. No codes and no limp mode, made it home.

Runs just like it did when I bought it. Like crap. Misses and hesitation. Not sure if it's because they just unhooked the pcv from the injectors, but left all the other stuff connected. When I got it, after I put a decent program on that it ran fine.

Going to try and call Ivan later today and see if he can check an ecu to see if it's good or bad. Too much stuff going on this weekend to look at what I need to do to get it running smooth again.

After taxes, the bill was $873. Still trying to get the people that sold me the warranty to do something.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash