Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #46
Advanced Member

Had a nice talk with Ivan. Gave me the things to check, also thinks I probably have a good ecu, and a bad mechanic. If I'd have gotten it a day earlier or 3 days later, I'd have time to check it all out.

Broke a tooth this morning, so maybe after the dentist Monday I can get a good look at it. After the gas wears off. ;)
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Scootergptx; 10-28-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #47
Advanced Member

Ok, got a good look at what was going on Friday evening. The pcv was not unhooked, like they said it was. So I took that off. Got the wires coated with some liquid electrical tape and put the tank back down. Pulled the new ecu out and put the old one in. Immediately through the 58 code again, and went into the limp mode. Switched back to the new one, and with the pcv being off the bike completely, runs better now.

Not near as good as with the Ivanized ecu. And of course I have the backfire issues now. Knew that was going to happen. With the holidays coming up, and paying for the bikes service, getting the new ecu sent to Ivan will have to wait till next year.

But at least the bike is back home and out on the road again.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 11-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #48

WOW!! Just read through your saga.. Hope your broken tooth ordeal works out. Those are never fun.

It occurred to me while reading yesterdays update, could the PCV be the catalyst of your issues? And possibly have damaged the original Ivanized ECU? It sounds like the PCV you just took off is a splice in style, not a plug and play. That makes diagnosing the problem more difficult not being able to just plug it back in to see how the bike run with it reinstalled. Good job your might Vaquero is back to running condition.

I would love to hear Ivan's diagnosis on the ECU you send him.

Good luck
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 11-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #49
Advanced Member

When I talked with Ivan, he said he'd need another 1700 to test it on. Think he was just going to put mine on it and see what happens. I may check with him later and see if a reflash would cost the same. If so, I'll just do the new one next year.

The pcv is the one made for the 1700. I took it over to the computer last night and plugged it in. Can still change out maps, so I'm beginning to think the only error was taking it to this shop. I did put Dave's best map so far back on it. Maybe I'll put it back on again just to see. It was still pretty much hooked up, so I would think if it caused any problems, it would have then too.

Oh yeah, they also forgot to hook up the tank vent hose. No big deal, but it's clear they have no quality control on what they do.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 11-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #50

Oh lucky you.. And just think, you got the privalage of paying for all that quality service.
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #51

As much money and all you spend on the new bikes, all the electronics on them, they're way too damn complicated. And its all about emissions, plain and simple. Thats the reason I will never ever get a new bike again.
There are the warranty co.'s out there that are just out there to rip you off and lead you on. Just make doubly sure you have a good one.
Good luck....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 11-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #52
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
As much money and all you spend on the new bikes, all the electronics on them, they're way too damn complicated. And its all about emissions, plain and simple. Thats the reason I will never ever get a new bike again.
There are the warranty co.'s out there that are just out there to rip you off and lead you on. Just make doubly sure you have a good one.
Good luck....
When I bought my skoot it came with the 3 year warrant. Just before the 3 year warranty ran out, I bought a 3 year extension from Kawasaki, Kawasaki Protection Plus for $693.00. No deductible, Bumper to bumper, so to speak.

The factory sent me a letter. I didn't respond to it right away. But called the factory later when I was ready to purchase the extension.

It has paid for itself, replaced one rear shock, and the engine was pulled to replace the HLA's. The rear cylinder set can't be removed inframe.

Sometimes saving a nickel ends up costing a dime. Don't ask me how I know, but I can say "Buy the best and cry only once." A lesson I learned over time.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Sometimes saving a nickel ends up costing a dime. Don't ask me how I know, but I can say "Buy the best and cry only once." A lesson I learned over time.
Wise words SnakeRanch, wise words.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115