Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
I suspect some of the driveline issues are combined, meaning that the final drive belt may be too tight, and the bike owner not using the best shifting technique. Especially on bikes with a heel/toe shifter I suspect some riders hammer on the heel shifter and also hit the throttle hard. The most common issue when it happens is 2nd gear. When you consider how we typically ride; we get the bike moving in 1st gear and then get into harder at the 2nd gear shift. Shift technique can help a lot especially on a big v-twin. Get the bike up to speed, get your foot under the shifter to take up the free play, at the shift point keep any throttle chop to a minimum (try to keep the engine speed drop to a minimum) and then only about 1/4 clutch lever action and the shift easily clicks in. After 2nd gear the momentum of the bike gets it through the shift easier, but the lowest gears require the best shifting action.

I prefer to use the toe shifter as it gives me better feel for shifting than using the heel shifter. The heel shifter makes it too easy to just hammer through the shifts.
Damn Straight, Otherwise you need a tranny rebuild like I got. While I was in the shop 2 other bikes have had 3rd and 2nd gear issues. I take full responsibility for my issue, But Had a lot of Fun getting there. Warrantee so just down time for my carelessness. DOWN TIME SUCKS !! Not going there again. Lesson Learned.

After all that I had to add slack to the drive belt, since they did a full To Spec rebuild.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 07-05-2021 at 09:41 PM.