Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

2010 Voyager Help

I have read that quite a few of the Voyager owners have changed their stock kick stands to a Nomad Kickstand to make it easier getting the bike upright when parked. I went to Laughlin this weekend and parked on a incline and boy did I have a tough time getting the bike up! My question is, what year of a Nomad Kickstand fits the 2010 Voyager?

Thanks,
John
jm24poker@aol.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm24poker View Post
I have read that quite a few of the Voyager owners have changed their stock kick stands to a Nomad Kickstand to make it easier getting the bike upright when parked. I went to Laughlin this weekend and parked on a incline and boy did I have a tough time getting the bike up! My question is, what year of a Nomad Kickstand fits the 2010 Voyager?

Thanks,
John
jm24poker@aol.com
This is something I'm thinking about myself right now, so I know the answer.

I'm currently thinking "Hmmm, 1500 Nomad kickstand fits Voyager, with extra length. At the moment I have my old '02 1500 Nomad parked alongside my "new to me" Voyager downstairs... Should I just maybe swap the kickstands over before I sell the Nomad?" Tempting indeed, but maybe not a nice thing to do to the next owner of the Nomad.

My only other option (and the one I'll probably take) is to go to Ronayers.com... find the part number (34024-1330) and pay their reasonable asking price ($77.81) plus completely exorbitant shipping to get it down here to NZ.

Edit: That's not Ron Ayers exorbitant shipping... it's just normal for anything shipped down here... Ron's been nothing except exceptional for getting me items to my shipping agent, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 11-12-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #3

You may have luck finding a used one on E-Bay. I believe all 1500 and 1600 Nomad kick stands are the same.

Larry Martel
02 1500 Nomad
VBA 01565
VROC4737
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

Could you not just attach something to the bottom? and then when you have the height you want, just weld it on and then clean it up and spray paint? that way you would have a custom type to the height you want, and I agree they do lean over quite a bit.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

Good idea smokey........that would be the best way in my book easiest also. I dont like changing kickstands, u know springs and all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse d View Post
Good idea smokey........that would be the best way in my book easiest also. I dont like changing kickstands, u know springs and all.
The added advantage is that you can adjust it if you want by just removing or adding material, I may just do it myself. I find that in the garage when I park it, I have a 2x4 that i put under the sidestand, it helps quite a bit, works out to around 1.5 or 1.75 inches extra height.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Just thinking out loud here. A couple of points to consider if you go the route of welding a block on the bottom. A 1 1/2 in block besides looking a bit odd ( if you care about looks ), will add quite a bit of weight the the end of the kick stand. It may add more strain on the spring that holds the stand up. You may wish to drill out some of the center of that bock before welding to lighten it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

I find if you just pull the bars all the way to the right when your getting off not only does it stand the bike up a little straighter it also helps getting on and off

Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Just thinking out loud here. A couple of points to consider if you go the route of welding a block on the bottom. A 1 1/2 in block besides looking a bit odd ( if you care about looks ), will add quite a bit of weight the the end of the kick stand. It may add more strain on the spring that holds the stand up. You may wish to drill out some of the center of that bock before welding to lighten it.
Or use aluminum, I doubt whether it would wear that quickly unless you like to ride with the kickstand down which is not possible on these bikes. You don't have to weld either, There should be enough room on the foot part to drill a couple of holes and put stainless bolts through, drill holes in the bottom of the added part so you can have the nuts up inside (that sounds kinky) and use the nylon lock nuts.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

John

Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I put a 2005 Nomad kickstand on my 2010 Voyager. The Nomad kickstand is about 2 inches longer.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Or use aluminum, I doubt whether it would wear that quickly unless you like to ride with the kickstand down which is not possible on these bikes. You don't have to weld either, There should be enough room on the foot part to drill a couple of holes and put stainless bolts through, drill holes in the bottom of the added part so you can have the nuts up inside (that sounds kinky) and use the nylon lock nuts.
You may be better off with this second idea, at least you wouldn't destroy the chrome and it is reversible. Black derlin would look good too.
A thought though. You probably could drill up from the bottom and into the leg of the stand a half inch and tap the hole(s) and bolt from underneath using a bit of lock tite. No noticeable bolt heads or holes through the stand should you decide to reverse the mod later.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #13

Black delrin would probably be a lot easier to work with as well, probably easier to find than aluminum
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I find if you just pull the bars all the way to the right when your getting off not only does it stand the bike up a little straighter it also helps getting on and off
You will see most old timers park their bike that way every time.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #15

Check this out on YouTube