Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Wiring Question

I am installing the Value Accessories spotlights on my 06Nad. Which wire do I tap into in the headlight bucket for the "on/off" switch? I want the spotlights on when the headlight comes on, but also be able to control them with a switch. I read somewhere to tap into the blue/white wire behind the connector, but I don't see a blue/white wire. I have everything else wired except the on/off switch...HELP

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Wiring Question

If it were me, I wouldn't tap into any existing light circuit to power these. That is going to put too much electrical load on the circuit, and you run the risk of blowing a fuse, cooking your ignition switch, or frying the wiring. I don't care what anybody tells you, that's not the correct way to do it.

The right way to do this would be to use the tail or running light circuit to control a relay, and run power from the battery to the relay. The running light circuit comes on with the ignition, so that would trigger the relay and power the lights. A relay is going to run you $5-$6 and isn't as hard as it sounds to wire up. Give me a few minutes and I'll have a diagram for you.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #3

Wiring Question

+1 to what CJ said. I followed his directions a couple of weeks ago when I installed my driving lights (and fuse block). I had never done anything electrical with my bike before, but it was really easy once you get past the fear factor.

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nad
I am installing the Value Accessories spotlights on my 06Nad. Which wire do I tap into in the headlight bucket for the "on/off" switch? I want the spotlights on when the headlight comes on, but also be able to control them with a switch. I read somewhere to tap into the blue/white wire behind the connector, but I don't see a blue/white wire. I have everything else wired except the on/off switch...HELP

Thanks.
I got mine wired exactly as CJ says. Works perfect.

Pete

Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #5

Wiring Question

+1 for that reply CJ.

This topic comes up almost as often as oil and filter stuff. IMO, I would not use the headlight low or high beam as a trigger wire. I still do not understand that shops still do it this way too. If that circuit goes you will still have your aux lights if you use the red running light wire to trigger the relay. You will be exposing that wire anyway and there is less demand on that circuit.

After going through this many times I highly recommend installing a 6 port power buss with a 20 AMP connection to the battery. You can run the power lead from the relay and battery by finding a secure route on the frame but it is much cleaner to install the line under the tank. If you are going to do that then you can power the buss and then run multiple lines to your lights and other sources like power ports as you need them. I ran 4 lines to the front and tucked 1 under the neck cover. I just used that to power the J&M CB and all I need to do was pop in a 5 amp fuse and connect to the CB.

Just saying.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Wiring Question

I purchased a 6 circuit 40 amp maximum fuse block a while back that I am yet to install. It doesn't have a ground buss attached to it. If I install this fuse block at the front of the bike with the inline 40 amp fuse and #8 wire directly to the battery, can I get a separate ground buss to mount alongside the fuse block to attach the accessory ground wires to? Or should I start all over and purchase a fuse block with the ground buss already provided on the block such as the Eastern Beaver model?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
I purchased a 6 circuit 40 amp maximum fuse block a while back that I am yet to install. It doesn't have a ground buss attached to it. If I install this fuse block at the front of the bike with the inline 40 amp fuse and #8 wire directly to the battery, can I get a separate ground buss to mount alongside the fuse block to attach the accessory ground wires to? Or should I start all over and purchase a fuse block with the ground buss already provided on the block such as the Eastern Beaver model?
Since you already have the power buss I would just get a separate ground buss. Rather than run a wire back to the negative terminal on the battery just find a good place to ground it to the frame.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #8

Wiring Question

So are you saying that I wired myne wrong? I used the feed to the headlight to trip the relay so the lights will come on after the bike starts eliminating the extra draw on the battey while starting. The light bar works with hi or low beams.

I know if I loose my headlight I loose all front lights but I figured better to save the draw on the battery vs the possibility of loosing all the lights, and also if I didn't have the light bar & lost the headlight I'd be in the dark anyway.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #9

Wiring Question

I am not sure what you mean Ron.

Are you using a relay in your connections or not?
Depending on the wattage of your light bar bulbs it may not be a big deal but many of us here recommend you use a relay anyway. It is extra security that you will not overload the headlight circuit. If the wattage is low you can use the aux power circuit inside the headlight with a relay. It's just not the best solution.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffron69
So are you saying that I wired myne wrong? I used the feed to the headlight to trip the relay so the lights will come on after the bike starts eliminating the extra draw on the battey while starting. The light bar works with hi or low beams.

I know if I loose my headlight I loose all front lights but I figured better to save the draw on the battery vs the possibility of loosing all the lights, and also if I didn't have the light bar & lost the headlight I'd be in the dark anyway.
Did you wire yours wrong? Not exactly. You did use a relay, so you minimized the additional load on the headlight. That's not a bad thing entirely. However, by using your headlight circuit to trigger the relay, you have given yourself a single point of failure. If the headlight fuse blows or the circuit is compromised, you have no forward illumination. That could be a bad thing, especially at night.

I have 2 sets of driving lights, each is independent of the other, and neither is dependent on the headlight. If I lost my headlight, I'd still be able to make it home if I have to, even in the dark.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #11

Wiring Question

CajunRider, I have a similar buss and yes, it lacks a ground buss. I am still looking for a more elegant solution but good frame grounds are easier to find than power sources. I have 2 relays and a 6 port power buss plus and extra 6 port buss just for LED lighting. It's all installed in the top shelf under the left side cover while the driving light relay is inside the headlight.

I have the primary relay grounds attached to the left side battery tie down. Other grounds like the power port inside the trunk are grounded right inside the box and some LEDs are grounded using the rear seat fender mount bolt.

Right now I am crafting a ground wire buss out of brass stock and using that battery tie down nut to secure it.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #12

Wiring Question

CajunRider, I almost feel like we were birthed in the same garage ;)

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

Wiring Question

Sorry I was unclear, I used the wire that sends power to the headlight circuit after the bike is started (found it in the bucket) to trip the relay, and ran a seperate wire from the battery to the relay to power the 35w running lights.

basically same as the diagram only I didn't use the tail light circuit to trip the relay I used the headlight circuit to keep it from tripping until after the bike is started.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffron69
Sorry I was unclear, I used the wire that sends power to the headlight circuit after the bike is started (found it in the bucket) to trip the relay, and ran a seperate wire from the battery to the relay to power the 35w running lights.

basically same as the diagram only I didn't use the tail light circuit to trip the relay I used the headlight circuit to keep it from tripping until after the bike is started.
My response still applies. You have a single point of failure, but you didn't overload the headlight circuit because you used a relay to power the lights.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #15

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer
CajunRider, I almost feel like we were birthed in the same garage ;)
Hmm.....that could be good or bad.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482