Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Speedo acting like a tach,HELP

Coming home from work today and noticed as soon as I got on the freeway that the speedo was running at 110MPH. What!!?? Pulled in clutch to upshift and speedo dropped with RPMs. Pulled over,shut bike down recycled key and took off...same problem but then the bike started to backfire and cut out. Pulled over again as it was now becoming unsafe. Waited a couple of minutes and looked bike over for anything obvious. restarted bike and it seemed to run fine. got back on bike and as soon as I raised the kickstand, BOOM, speedo is acting like a tach again. Took off and bike ran fine the 20 miles home but problem with speedo still happening. As soon as I got in my neighborhood I shut the bike down while coasting down a hill recycled key with bike coasting in neutral, clutch pulled in speedo sitting at 0, as soon as i released the clutch up jumped the needle to 60 MPH.
I do have a Baron tach on the bike and it was functioning fine through all of this.
Ideas?? suggestions.....
Additional: Just up from garage, problem doesn't start until I raise the kickstand.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Kybenz; 08-24-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: More info

Old 08-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Unplug the tach and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the tach wiring might be shorting out.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Is it an electronic speedo, or cable operated?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

Here is what I found. Black/yellow wire with grey or silver dots is the one that is cooked. Looks like this is a ground junction. Same as the wire going to kickstand connector. Hmmmmm....
And all these black/yellow wires have different dots on them.

Last edited by Kybenz; 08-24-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

The year and model would be nice to know. How old the battery is too.

This info should be on everyone's sub title or in their avatar.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
The year and model would be nice to know. How old the battery is too.

This info should be on everyone's sub title or in their avatar.
Sorry Mac, I should know better. It's a 2005 1600 Classic, battery is from 12/2010 and I always have it hooked to a tender when not riding.
I was hoping you would chime in as I see how helpful and knowledgeable you always are. So far I have removed the left chrome cover and checked all the connectors and wires behind it for signs of corrosion or arcing, nothing found. Removed the seats and tank to look for signs of chafing along the harness, nothing. looked in the headlamp bucket, and checked all my accessories, i.e.tach, driving lights, cobra fi200r,12volt power outlet, and can find no signs of any shorts or exposed wires. I am going to hate to have to cut open the harness to trace the wire back.
Any ideas on repairing or replacing that connector? Better yet, could that connector be the source of the problem itself?
Also I looked at the ECU connectors, all good, on that note, is it normal for the ECU to look as if the gel coating has lumps of gravel in it?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/WE...w155-h207-p-no

Last edited by Kybenz; 08-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Top Contributor

That looks to be Joint Connector #2.

You might want to read through the thread listed below. This is the second occurance of this problem on a 2005 in just a short while:

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35055

Yes, the connector could be the source of the problem.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-24-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
That looks to be Joint Connector #2.

You might want to read through the thread listed below. This is the second occurance of this problem on a 2005 in just a short while:

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35055

Yes, the connector could be the source of the problem.
Yellow jacket, funny I read this thread just a few days ago and forgot about it. This is EXACTLY my problem. Even the exact wires in the JC#2 are burned. Going to the hardware store to get some buss bar tomorrow and hopefully all will be well. Irishguy, did you ever get yours sorted out? I went stem to stern and could find nothing else wrong. ALL of my accessories are on their own circuits fused and run with switched relays.
Will post results with pics later.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #9

When time allows, please let us know what you attempted and if it worked.

Thanks!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #10

Working on it right now. 14 separate grounds go to this connector. 8 are hooked together on one circuit via an 8 prong spade connector setup and the other 6 are the same way. All housed in that cheesy flimsy connector. Far as I can tell just one spade not tight and you've got arcing, heat buildup and eventually failure. Would explain all the weird stuff going on as the ground starts coming and going intermittently.
I will post a pic of the guts of it later. Went to Lowes and got some copper ground junctions. Gonna strip and solder the wires together as they were in the connector and then house them in the ground junction. Basically wire the 8 together and put them in one connector and then do the same with the other 6. Really think that this was the problem and not a result of another, as the only real damage is at that connector and only at that one wire. Fingers crossed.
In the first pic you can see the factory setup and the one wire that was burned(BTW, that connector was very loose on the spade.) as well as the new junction I am using. The second pic shows the six grounds in one block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (56.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (92.2 KB, 35 views)
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Last edited by Kybenz; 08-25-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added pics

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Oh Boy...... I wasn't careful.... Ummmm 2 bikes now both 05's.

Could 'we' have a larger picture of the ecu please? Look at that closer and tell us what you feel and see too.

What side of the ecu case is that facing?

Could anything have been spilled there?

I have been very busy with not motorcycle related BS called life

At this point I still don't 'KNOW' the exact location of the orange connector. So far all the shots are to close up for me to ID the location well. I have the idea it's behind the coolant bottle.

I also backed off a bit so Yellow Jacket and irishguy wouldn't get over loaded.

The main point is not for any one of us too come out looking good, but to get the guy with a problem bailed out.

A lot of what you guys toss our way hasn't happened to me and other guys that would bail you out.

Things like year make model and every detail you can dream up tells us what is wrong.

Like, so far my 06 has killed 1 horn, 1 drive shaft boot, and 1 head lamp bulb. Unless worn out tires, brake pads, gas and oils count, my 06 Nomad hasn't had a hick up once.

While I don't 'know' I am coming to think this orange connector is the fault.

Where the Hell is it? Be blunt I ain't got a lot of time.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Last edited by macmac; 08-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Yellow Jacket I am confused. is this the 2nd thread in a week on the same thing with a very much like same picture?

I wasn't being careful and thought it was the same picture. I am off to search threads.
Mac, my pic was from my bike but they do look as if they BOTH failed at the same point. Could this be another problem child like the infamous loose hose clamps?
As this connector is under the seat and taped up I would be curious if anyone else pulls off their seat and checks the condition of this connector.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Advanced Member

No more posts from irishguy since 08-19-13. Never updated the thread so not sure if he found the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Yellow/Mac, have a multi-meter on the way, also a grounding bar, instructions seems pretty clear and straight forward, will probably follow up with any questions or issues. thanks to you both for the help

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 08-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

No more posts would lead me to believe that he's riding.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybenz View Post
Mac, my pic was from my bike but they do look as if they BOTH failed at the same point. Could this be another problem child like the infamous loose hose clamps?
As this connector is under the seat and taped up I would be curious if anyone else pulls off their seat and checks the condition of this connector.
I edited over my first post, thinking you guys would be bleary eyed from last night

Under the seat and taped up huh?

2 bikes, same year, a week apart and yeah I think something is up...

I am getting the idea i want to dig up this connector and take a reading across the connector.

Voltage Drop:
This test works to discover if there is a problem. It is done in dcv starting on a meter at 20 dcv.. then lowering the value setting because you may be looking for 1/2 a volt...

The good reading is 0.00 a bad reading would be any numbers other than 0.00.

It would help to know which way the current is flowing To Ground. and use the black probe of the meter on that side.

No harm will come to the meter or anything else even if there IS a problem if the probes are reversed, but one way you will have a reading and the other way you will have a negative reading.

In your case in a away it's too late but i would check the rest of the wiring there to be safe.

I would love to know where this ground wire is coming from, and with out having to dig it all out myself.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac