Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-16-2024, 10:39 AM   #1

drive shaft boot replacement

The drive shaft boot is cracked on my 2007 1600 Nomad. Is there a way to replace the boot without having to pull the shaft? Hoping it's a simple repair.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2024, 01:19 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado View Post
The drive shaft boot is cracked on my 2007 1600 Nomad. Is there a way to replace the boot without having to pull the shaft? Hoping it's a simple repair.
Seeing as this is your first post how about introducing yourself in the new members section ?

Last edited by redjay; 06-16-2024 at 01:21 PM.

Old 06-17-2024, 02:40 PM   #3

intro

Name is Brad. Bought an 07 Nomad 1600 from a friend a few years ago. Love the bike but have not done much w/ it yet. Changed the oil, plugs, new brakes, but that's about it. Still getting to know it, so to speak.

Old 06-17-2024, 03:02 PM   #4
Top Contributor

There is currently another thread discussing this issue.

https://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50547

Old 06-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado View Post
Hey Brad,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new scoot!

I am mid-repair on replacing the swing arm and final drive due to a leak from the rear seals. I can tell you that there is no way to replace the boot without removing the drive shaft or at least the swing arm.

I did come across the video below where the guy kept the swing arm attached and just disconnected the drive shaft, swung it out of the way which would provide access to change the boot. He didn't even remove the rear tire which is convenient.

All that being said, the boot was cracked on my bike when I bought it 10 years and 35k+ miles ago. It has never caused an issue. The only reason I am replacing it now is because I have to remove the rear swing arm anyway to replace the seals. IMO, if the boot only has a slight crack, it's not worth the effort unless you will be riding it regularly in wet weather.

Good luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2024, 04:23 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRiig View Post
Hey Brad,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new scoot!

I am mid-repair on replacing the swing arm and final drive due to a leak from the rear seals. I can tell you that there is no way to replace the boot without removing the drive shaft or at least the swing arm.

I did come across the video below where the guy kept the swing arm attached and just disconnected the drive shaft, swung it out of the way which would provide access to change the boot. He didn't even remove the rear tire which is convenient.

All that being said, the boot was cracked on my bike when I bought it 10 years and 35k+ miles ago. It has never caused an issue. The only reason I am replacing it now is because I have to remove the rear swing arm anyway to replace the seals. IMO, if the boot only has a slight crack, it's not worth the effort unless you will be riding it regularly in wet weather.

Good luck!
Remember to put some grease on that gear before re attaching the drive shaft. Also grease the other end of the drive shaft if the final drive is removed.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:00 AM   #7

Thanks BigRiig and Redjay. Appreciate the insights and advice!