Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-05-2024, 01:30 PM   #1

Drive shaft seal

During a short day ride this past weekend, I noticed a clicking sound coming from the right side of the bike. When I parked it in the garage, there was a leak coming from the drive shaft boot. Gear oil fo sure. I've been meaning to rebuild the differential since there is grease/oil flung on the rear wheel.

This new leak solidifies that I'm going to need to tackle this project before putting any more miles on the bike. I am wondering about a couple of items:

1. Could the clicking sound be the U-joint going out? Should I just replace it anyway?

2. Is there a parts list or kit for rebuild kit for the driveshaft/differential?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2024, 08:07 PM   #2

for u joint
https://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17405

not sure if this is what you are looking for.
https://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15738
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 06-12-2024, 04:35 PM   #3

Ok, I decided to purchase a used rear swing arm that has a rebuilt final drive. All seals and gears are good. It comes sans drive shaft. Here is my question: it would appear that I can remove the rear tire, unbolt the shocks, brake caliper, unbolt the swing arm and remove it while leaving the drive shaft attached to the bike? It looks like it would just slide out and I could slide the new swing arm into place and bolt it all back together with a new dust boot of course. Is there anything I am missing?

Old 06-12-2024, 05:39 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRiig View Post
Ok, I decided to purchase a used rear swing arm that has a rebuilt final drive. All seals and gears are good. It comes sans drive shaft. Here is my question: it would appear that I can remove the rear tire, unbolt the shocks, brake caliper, unbolt the swing arm and remove it while leaving the drive shaft attached to the bike? It looks like it would just slide out and I could slide the new swing arm into place and bolt it all back together with a new dust boot of course. Is there anything I am missing?
Its been a while but wouldn't you have to remove the drive shaft to install a new dust boot ? Its not difficult to remove the drive shaft.

The following is from Gadgets Vulcan page. https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/

"Turn the driveshaft by grabbing it at the rear (that's the splined "sliding joint"). Watch for a little hole to appear on its front end, where the rubber boot was.

lg driveshaft pin1
Use a very small Allen wrench or other suitable tool to poke into the hole. Press down, which compresses a spring, which releases the drive shaft lock. [important Gadget note: you were actually pressing down on a very small, spring loaded metal pin in that hole. The pin can pop out of the hole once the driveshaft has been moved back and you 'will' lose it if you're not careful. I now (having spent an hour looking for that sucker once) take the precaution of removing the pin with a magnet and placing it in a cup for safe keeping]
Pull the drive shaft back toward the rear about 1-2 inches by grabbing the sliding joint. It will slide off the front joint. Use a small disposable brush to coat the front splines with grease".

Last edited by redjay; 06-13-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Old 06-13-2024, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Its been a while but wouldn't you have to remove the drive shaft to install a new dust boot ? Its not difficult to remove the drive shaft.
I think if I remove the swing arm and leave the drive shaft in place, I can slip the boot over the drive shaft before installing the new swing arm...unless I am missing something. Ultimately I am trying to avoid removing the drive shaft if possible.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2024, 04:01 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRiig View Post
I think if I remove the swing arm and leave the drive shaft in place, I can slip the boot over the drive shaft before installing the new swing arm...unless I am missing something. Ultimately I am trying to avoid removing the drive shaft if possible.
Have you inspected the universal joint on your drive shaft ?

Old 06-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Have you inspected the universal joint on your drive shaft ?
Not yet. I plan on taking it apart this afternoon. If the U-joint is good, I am going to just put the new swing arm in place once it comes later this week.