Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
starts and dies (Fixed)

Panic!! I'm supposed to leave for Ohio and then back to Eureka Springs this Saturday. Today the bike would not make it to the end of the street. It starts, sometimes after several tries, and then dies when I give it throttle. I started to remove the gas tank and when I pull the connector off of the fuel line it keeps dripping gas. Before when I did that it would only drip a couple of drops and stop. I'm wondering if my fuel pump has gone south.

Any advice appreciated.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Idaho; 06-11-2015 at 11:22 PM. Reason: success update

Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #2

Does it idle just fine and only die when you open up the throttle?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 06-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

It starts and sometimes it will idle for a short time but will gradually die. Pops and backfires occasionally. Can run up the throttle and it runs but dies when I let off the gas. I cleaned the battery posts and checked the ground bus connection. That is all good.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

Appears to be fuel related rather than spark Bud. When you energize the fuel pump do you hear it whine up as it's charging the injectors? Can't remember if you put a processor on yours, if you did, give it a once over to make sure nothing's obvious with it to indicate it may be causing the problem. If you did and not sure how to diagnose it, remove it and reconnect the old OEM system. Next thing to try is to verify that you don't have a major vacuum leak. Manifold o-rings, hoses, etc. When you have the bike running, spray some WD-40 around those areas, if your RPMs jump then that tells you that you have a leak somewhere. I'm sure others will contribute to your dilemma, keep us informed. It may very well be your fuel pump. Kevin.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

Have you had a recent fill up with fuel, or have you gone a number of miles on that tank?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

The low fuel light came on when I was headed home yesterday. I've ordered a fuel pump and am having it shipped overnight. I tried to remove the plugs from the injector clip and remove my fuel processor but it is not coming off and I REALLY don't want to force it in order to remove the plug. If I break that connection I'm really screwed.

In the meantime I'm headed to town for a new set of sparkplugs and will put it back together this evening and see what happens.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

This is not directed towards you Bud, but you guys with fuel pump problems, Do you run fuel with ethanol and no additive to combat it? How about seafoam ? Seems that something in the fuel may be what is messing up all these fuel pumps. I can't believe there is that many "bad" pumps.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
The low fuel light came on when I was headed home yesterday. I've ordered a fuel pump and am having it shipped overnight. I tried to remove the plugs from the injector clip and remove my fuel processor but it is not coming off and I REALLY don't want to force it in order to remove the plug. If I break that connection I'm really screwed.

In the meantime I'm headed to town for a new set of sparkplugs and will put it back together this evening and see what happens.
Ok this may seem dumb bud, but this leaves us to wonder, does that mean you filled the tank when the light came on, in which case you maybe picked up bad fuel, or is the bike still almost empty, in which case is there enough fuel to run, or maybe you have crud in the bottom of the tank and being low on fuel it is more concentrated and clogged the filter in the pump.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Norm, I mentioned the low fuel light because I was asked if I had just filled it up. The answer is "No". I did put a little more fuel in it here at home hoping that would help. It did not.

I've disconnected my aftermarket fuel processor and plugged in the factory unit with no luck. I've cleaned the battery terminals even though they did not look bad at all.

How many fuel pumps actually go bad? I've seen other guys think it was the fuel pump but eventually found something else.

I don't understand how to spray WD40 into anything because everything is sealed up or hidden. Can't run the bike with the fuel tank off so what do you do? I have Chucksters intake system on and it is sealed up tight.

I guess that unless someone comes up with another idea I will pull the tank, reinstall my aftermarket fuel processor and wait for the new fuel pump to arrive. I pulled the old one out but don't see any way to clean out a filter. None to be seen.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #10

Maybe try removing you air cleaner and check the two rubber caps on the vacuum lines that used to hook to the cold idle solenoids. If those are cracked they may leak. The WD40 trick doesn't work anyway. WD40 changed the formula a few years ago and it doesn't burn like it used to. Besides, It just makes a mess. What works better, is an un-lit propane torch. Just wave it by any vacuum connection and if the idle goes up, you have a leak.

While you're in there and have the tank removed, check the two rubber vacuum lines that go to the intake. Should be one in front and behind of the throttle body.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #11

Dave, thanks for the advice. Now your talking something that I can understand. I like the propane tip and I will check those two vacuum lines.

The rubber caps are on tight and don't seem to be cracked. When the bike started acting up that was the first thing I thought of. Had one of those come off two years ago when I was in Ohio on the bike and I bought some high quality goop from an auto parts store and sealed them on tight.

Back to the garage.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #12

So it started running crap before you got home?
If it were me, I would go get a spray tin of carb cleaner. I prefer to use that over ether starting fluid as it is less volatile. First thing remove the air filter and with the bike running and as it starts to stubble or die, spray a bit of carb cleaner in the throttle body. If it perks right up for a few seconds then that will confirm it is a fuel starving problem. Could be the processor but I'm thinking you got crude in the tank, this may be why the connection is dripping( dirt if crap holding the valve that closes when you disconnect.
Next since you are waiting on a new pump, I would remove the tank shake every bit of gas out and rinse it out several time with a bit of fresh gas.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

I had a issue similar to what you are describing. The cause of my problem, when the fuel processor was put on, I used the wire clips that came with the processor. Over time, the connector on the Throttle Position Control separated and wasn't sending the correct signal to control the fuel flow. May be something to look at.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisfire View Post
I had a issue similar to what you are describing. The cause of my problem, when the fuel processor was put on, I used the wire clips that came with the processor. Over time, the connector on the Throttle Position Control separated and wasn't sending the correct signal to control the fuel flow. May be something to look at.
I have my manual out now looking for the throttle position sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Have you tried draining the tank and filling with some new fuel from a different gas station. I'd suspect you got some bad gas somewhere.
Ring, I've not drained the tank yet. I don't have a container to drain it into but will see what I can do.

Thanks for the advice.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

Have you tried draining the tank and filling with some new fuel from a different gas station. I'd suspect you got some bad gas somewhere.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951