Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Just finished the Caddmann air cleaner mod

In a word. Wow! What a difference it has made.
I bought a near new air cleaner lid from the local car parts recycler yard for 10 bucks with a good filter element ( got a new element on order) and just followed Caddmanns instructions.
There are two types of lids you can use, one is dished and the other is domed. I chose the dished one so I could use the original retainer bolt.
I could of finished the transplant in 10 mins but I decided to make one important change to the instructions.
I kept the original filter etc on the left but sealed off the old air tube ( the one that goes from the original filter then between the cylinders), on the right side NOT the left so as to stop heated air getting into the engine. Much improved volumemetric efficiency. Real important. Glad I did this mod as it has made a huge improvement. I don't ride in the wet and a garden hose never goes near my bike so having an enclosed filter is not important to me.

The whole mod is easily reversible in just a few minuits.

Nice to hear that baby breathin now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by muz; 02-13-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Do you have a fuel processor installed ?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Do you have a fuel processor installed ?
No I don't. I don't have any pinging at all and I have removed the baffles as well. Given that the air temp sensor is now detecting a much cooler charge in the aircleaner chamber I may not have to fit one.
If I do I might just do the resistor mod using the lowest value of 500 ohms. The temps here at the moment are well over 110F. I do use 95ron fuel with castor upper cyl lube

Update: I just fitted an 800ohm (coz that's all I had) resistor to the air temp sensor just to be on the safe side. Will give it a run tomorrow to see how it goes. I have noticed the idle speed has come up now by about 200rpm.

Last edited by muz; 02-14-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
No I don't. I don't have any pinging at all and I have removed the baffles as well. Given that the air temp sensor is now detecting a much cooler charge in the aircleaner chamber I may not have to fit one.
If I do I might just do the resistor mod using the lowest value of 500 ohms. The temps here at the moment are well over 110F. I do use 95ron fuel with castor upper cyl lube

Update: I just fitted an 800ohm (coz that's all I had) resistor to the air temp sensor just to be on the safe side. Will give it a run tomorrow to see how it goes. I have noticed the idle speed has come up now by about 200rpm.
And its a big thumbs up for the 800 ohms resistor mod as well.
It just ain't the same bike no more.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Please don't call that the "cadmann" mod!! That guy whom claimed it was "his" mod is, totally F O S!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Please don't call that the "cadmann" mod!! That guy whom claimed it was "his" mod is, totally F O S!!
Muz's mod then?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Is that bait? That claim is simultaneously strong and vague. If there's more to the story it isn't common knowledge to me, what did I miss?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #8

I did basically the exact same thing a few months ago. muz is right, it's an almost completely different motorcycle, and it was even more dramatic on my CA model.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I'm unclear about the "resistor mod" you speak of, but my understanding is, and I've done the complete "cadmann", is that you'll need to increase the fuel to the bike, therefore a simple fuel processor is going to be needed I think. Otherwise it'll be running too lean. I,.. like many others here went with the Dobeck TFI because it only increases the fuel to the bike. Which is all you want. But others have gone with the Cobra etc. and some have even gone to the extent of getting their bikes on a dyno and had it mapped.. ......Have you changed pipes or at least debaffled the stock ones? I never did change the pipes like I was planning...$$$$ ......but I did debaffle .

Just my thoughts,... good luck and ride safe.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
I'm unclear about the "resistor mod" you speak of, but my understanding is, and I've done the complete "cadmann", is that you'll need to increase the fuel to the bike, therefore a simple fuel processor is going to be needed I think. Otherwise it'll be running too lean. I,.. like many others here went with the Dobeck TFI because it only increases the fuel to the bike. Which is all you want. But others have gone with the Cobra etc. and some have even gone to the extent of getting their bikes on a dyno and had it mapped.. ......Have you changed pipes or at least debaffled the stock ones? I never did change the pipes like I was planning...$$$$ ......but I did debaffle .

Just my thoughts,... good luck and ride safe.
After the air cleaner mod (and yes I did debaffle) I thought the bike ran fine. The only thing that alerted me to the fact that the motor was now running a little leaner was that when I cracked the throttle quickly from idle the motor would sort of "sneeze" occasionally. Not noticeable while actually riding the bike.
So I thought I would try the resistor mod as per Gadgets fix it page before spending big bucks on a Cobra etc.
Well the resistor worked great. It made a big difference to the performance and no more sneezing
And what has supprised me is that I am using less fuel now. Go figure that one. I think its because I am rolling on less throttle for the same given speed now. I have only run two tank fulls through so far in varying conditions and have gone from 34 to 36 mpg. Still early days tho.

Well here's my take on this whole scenario for what it worth.
These fi bikes are definately set up as lean as safetly possible from the factory purely so they can pass the emission regulations. So there is no fudge factor built in so if we increase the air getting into those engines by even a small amount we are going to notice a deteriation in performance somewhere.
I know there is a lot of twisting and turning of the air flow in the OEM intake system but think in an fi motor that's an advantage. Much better fuel and air mixing with the swirling effect of the incoming air.
Where we are getting the increased performance from after we do the air cleaner mod is by eliminating that crazy cross tube between the two cylinders and therefore injesting a much cooler air charge. By creating a cooler charge we are getting heaps more air molecules into that motor for much better combustion. That's why they use intercoolers on turbos. I think we have all noticed how much better an engine runs on a cool night as compared to a hot day, well that's the reason. Cool air= more air.
That cross tube between the cylinders is just plain nuts.
For a country like Australia that is.

Last edited by muz; 02-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I seem to remember the guy Caddman was barred from the site for reasons I forget.
Anyone want to elaborate ?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #12

Pics?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

Let's just say it was similar to a copy-right infringement.

Naming a mod after yourself when it really was not your mod (but rather someone else's mod) was not cool.

However, history has everyone calling it the Caddman mod... Understandable because everywhere you look you see it referred to as such.

Most wouldn't care what it is called... but there are a few (one) that does...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRat View Post
Pics?
There ya go Easy peasy
And for those who have noticed................no I am not naked I am wearing shorts Bloody heat.......Bloody chrome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0516.jpg (92.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0515.jpg (91.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140220_151042.jpg (94.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by muz; 02-20-2014 at 02:29 AM.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
Top Contributor

The resistor is in the temp sensor feed and 'fools' the ECM into thinking the air temp is cooler than it really is, thus, increasing fuel. I did it for a while and it worked fine, then found a TFI for a good price and just went with that so I would have another adjustment to tinker with.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC