Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

Voyager vs Ultra

Having come from a Road King and now owning a Voyager , Ive been somewhat getting the jones for a Ultra Classic . Well I got to to ride a friend of mines Ultra tonight . Nice bike but being I'm just a tad over 6ft I found the rider compartment a tad small and felt like I was sitting way on top of everything . I also found the steering to be quicker ....I never noticed these things on the Road King but I should have being the same bike , now I can honestly say I like the way the Voyager fits me , handles and rides better than the ultra ..... Not trying to trash the Ultra but the voyager just feels better at least to me seems better suited to a taller rider and the handle bars seem to be in a more natural position . the ultra bars felt very low .... now having compared the 2 I need to ride the Victory and see which of the 3 I look at in the next few yrs when I look for a new ride. Kind of a bummer really , I was hoping to get back into a Harley in the next few yrs but don't believe the Ultra is gonna be a fit for me ....Wonder if the tour glide has the same feel ? Ive heard the victory has more room than the Voyager ...
PCV

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #2

Better try one of those Indians too.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #3

don't think I can get past the look of the fairing on the Indian . I haven't seen one in person yet just pictures .....
PCV

Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

I owned a 2005 Ultra classic for a couple of years and ended up selling it. I liked the bike alright but the Voyager just fits me better. I am 6' and about 215. I would also agree with you on the handling the voyager out handles the Ultra by along ways in my opinion. Owing another Harley after the 4 I have owned is not even going to happen. There prices have gone off the end of the charts for me and the accessories are there to. Al

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast

Old 08-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

There prices have gone off the end of the charts for me and the accessories are there to. Al[/QUOTE]

Amen , yeah at 26k+ for a new Ultra and the fact I don't like the fit , I'm with you . My 07 Road King has me gun shy , Loved the bike but in the 15k miles I rode it there where way to may mechanical issues that I find unacceptable for a machine in that price range . I like my Voyager well enough to keep it for awhile . Still would like to test a Victory touring Ive heard a lot of god things about them and the owners appear to be satisfied .
PCV

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipack View Post
There prices have gone off the end of the charts for me and the accessories are there to. Al

Quote:
Amen , yeah at 26k+ for a new Ultra and the fact I don't like the fit , I'm with you . My 07 Road King has me gun shy , Loved the bike but in the 15k miles I rode it there where way to may mechanical issues that I find unacceptable for a machine in that price range . I like my Voyager well enough to keep it for awhile . Still would like to test a Victory touring Ive heard a lot of god things about them and the owners appear to be satisfied .
There is no other brand of bike with as many accessories available. Have you priced Kawasaki accessories? They're no less expensive, if the accessory yu want is even available.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

I tried an Ultra, Voyager and Vision before getting my RT and I came from a 1600 Nomad. The HD is a compact cockpit, but so it the Voyager compared to the 1600. The shift linkage on the Ultra annoyed me too, but a new Ultra is a better bike on a few fronts. It handles better, has better fit and finish and I imagine it has more stonk too. I rode a 96" Ultra and I couldn't tell the difference in power from a Voyager. The Vision had more mid and top power than either. The Ultra will also have more gadgetry too to integrate other gadgets and as Scott said, the accessories catalog is thicker than the manhattan phone book. It all depends on what you like and what you can afford. I see that HD brought back the Roadglide Ultra for 2016. It's outfitted like the Limited and has the twin cooled engine too. It also comes in purple and the roadglide has a little more room than the ultra or the feeling that it does.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Advanced Member

I tested an Ultra before I bought the Voyager - at 5'10" I agree with you - the Ultra felt more cramped . . . my Quad E Fred Flintstone brakes felted trapped on the Ultra too . . . Then there was the cost comparison which really put the Voyager on top - At 36,000 miles on my Voyager, I still have another 40,000 miles of gas to buy before I spend the same amount on my Voyager as compared to the 0 Mile out the door price of the Ultra . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 08-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #9

I have rode my brothers 09 Ultra once, and that was all it took for me to know that was not my next bike. I also felt like I was on top of the triple tree and it the only bike I couldnt wait to get off of. The seat was fine, but the way my legs had to go around the tank and then could only get my feet on the edge of tge floor boards, my knees were aching within 30 miles of riding. Rode it 82 miles home, and at 5'8" it felt cramped to me. Its also lowered 1" in back, by I touch ground easier on the Voyager.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #10

Don't ride the Victory.......Unless you're ready to purchase. Power, handling, lots (and I mean lots) of room to be comfortable, storage, it beats em all. Not a bike on the road of this configuration that handles so closely to the sport bikes. I use all, repeat ALL of my tires from sidewall to sidewall in turns, and more often than not, don't even scrape any hard parts. And with really no effort. Just drop it in and she goes. Front end feels light and makes the whole bike easily maneuverable. Capable of up to 200 (that's no typo) HP with no internal engine mods. Yes, it is that strong. A few simple changes/add ons and you're at somewhere close to 125 HP and Torque on the ground! I have a little over 100K miles of riding, various bikes. Never had a bike that instills the kind of confidence the Vic does.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Not a bike on the road of this configuration that handles so closely to the sport bikes.
Rubbish
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Rubbish
Perhaps, given your unquestioned authority and expertise, you could tell us all just which other V-Twin motorcycle aproaching, even possibly exceeding 900 pounds would qualify for the same statement? Being the world's foremost leading authority on, well, virtually everything, this should certainly be enlightening.

I don't ride a Nomad anymore although I DO still own two of them. That being the case, I only show up here on occasion to share some chatter and a few opinions with some of those with whom I've grown up here. I live where I ride mostly. Just don't find it necessary to be a constant presence in an effort to impress the newbs. But, to each his own. Thank you for your forward thinking criticizm. You guys have a good time here talking about your Nomads. I know I certainly did. Thanks for the memories boys.!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

[QUOTE=paul;638816]Don't ride the Victory.......Unless you're ready to purchase. Power, handling, lots (and I mean lots) of room to be comfortable, storage,

I have every intention of riding one , Ive owned a road king and as much as I miss the beautiful thing it was a pain in the A$$ to keep on the road . Many issues , I also have a buddy that has a 09 road glide , he has had enough go wrong that he tired of it as well it will be sold or traded new spring and he will most likely go with a Gold Wing . I think its sad Harley builds a beautiful machine and a bike one can own with pride , but sadly the motors just don't hold up and with the emissions changes in 2017 I believe the issues will continue .....for now my voyager is just fine , in the next few yrs if things pan out financially as I expect ...a new Victory will be in my garage pending some test rises and research ....but who knows if the popularity of the voyager continues to grow and Kawasaki polishes it some I may very well stick with it and buy one new ..... Mine was bought used a 2012 with 17k on the clock ....after fixing some of the first owners bonehead modifications the bike is just fine .
PCV

Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #14

The Harleys feel cramped to me to being 6'4" tall. The Vaquero I'm on is pretty decent but the seat options need help to be comfortable, the modified Voyager seat I'm currently using is a decent fit. Honestly the Victory bikes have the most room for a tall guy right off the floor but the really clunky tranny kept me from dropping any money.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
The Harleys feel cramped to me to being 6'4" tall. The Vaquero I'm on is pretty decent but the seat options need help to be comfortable, the modified Voyager seat I'm currently using is a decent fit. Honestly the Victory bikes have the most room for a tall guy right off the floor but the really clunky tranny kept me from dropping any money.
The vaquero wasn't out yet when I did my test rides. Even so, to do two up the seat has to be changed and some sort of back rest installed. I like the bags better though than the voyagers. If they only put in ABS from the get go. The colors for the first couple years were the best ones.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT