Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #1

New Metzlers ME 880's are on

Had them put on this morning. Rode about 25 miles home.

Overall the ride is less harsh than the stock Bridestones. Couple of observations:

1. The bike is much easier to steer and turn. With the 'Stones, It took a lot of effort to "push or pull" the bars. Doesn't seem to be that way with the Metz, but then again, might be just the new factor.

2. They are definitely quieter at road speed. I know HEAR every little expansion joint that I didn't before and I'm running V&H baggers. It's weird. The tire is quiet, but yet I can hear the the tires making contact on the bumps.

3. They do corner better than the worn out 'Stones, but I haven't pushed them by any means.

4. No growl in the corners, or at least if there is , it is so little that the pipes drown it out, couldn't say that with the 'Stones

The bad:

1. With the stock 'Stones, I would get a little vibration in the bars when holding them very lightly while decelerating around 25. Chalked it up to balance and didnt' worry as it only started about 10 days ago and knew the new tires were in the works. Got the new tires and the vibration is gone, but it has been replaced by a wobble. By holding lightly I mean 2 fingers. I didnt' notice it when I held the grips normally at that speed. I'm going to watch this very closely as it is not a factor when riding at any speed but decelerating around 25. It may have been the road I was on for all I know.

PS. When I go over bumps, I hear a strange metallic "clunk" from the front end. Don't really know how to explain it. Everything it tight and had the dealershipi look....they found nothing (and they are a good dealership). Best way I can descrip it is if you had something that was spring loaded and was snapping out to the end of the extention and hearing a metal on metal clunk. Kind of like a reverse bottoming out effect. I know that's a poor description, but thought I"d try.
I heard it a few times before with the old tires, so they are not the cuplrit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads