Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Start Up Hints

Most of you have reported that our beloved Nomads are awfully noisy in the morning. Mainly the loud ticking of the engine.

Could it be the fast idle solenoids? Lifters?

I've been doing things differently this last month and I'm not sure if I've hit on the answer or not.

I was checking the oil the other morning by standing on the right side of my bike and pulling the handlebar towards me and taking a peek at the glass site for the oil and saw nothing! Then slowly I started to see oil and it took about 30 seconds.

At first I panicked and then slowly the oil level rose 3/4 the way up the glass window.

I started thinking, "I wonder where the oil pickup is on a Nomad since I don't have the full manual (hint for a loaner email copy?) to see where the oil pick up is.

Anyway I thought about it and decided that for the next week I would get ready for work and get my helmet and all my stuff on and sit on my Nomad like I'm at a light with the bike straight up and wait 30 seconds then hit the starter.

For the past month now I've not heard one (1) tick, not ONE. I can't say that this is the answer, (semi dry start) but for some of you not blocked out with bad weather, try doing this, especially if you think your bike's clickity clacks too much in the morning and let BD know if you bikes starts up silently or not. I'm curious. ???

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads