Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Just finished the clutch spring replacement.

I followed Gadgets fix it instructions and it took me about 2.5 hours total.
My Nomad has almost 38,000 miles on it. I've only owned it a couple of years and only put a couple thousand miles on it each year. I didn't notice the slip until after I had ridden in several parades last year. I'm hoping it's been slipping since I bought it. That would explain the poor gas mileage it gets.

By far and away removing the old gasket took the longest amount of time. The old gasket was really stuck. I ended up using a dremel tool with a stainless steel wire wheel to get it off.

The only other thing that stood out was figuring out what the "rectifier" was. I knew it probably had something to do with the electrical system so I looked for wires. ;)

I couldn't reach The Judge so I didn't get the washers, but I'm okay with that. I did the bad downshift once when I was 18 and had the rear wheel lock up on my 850. I don't want to experience that again.

I couldn't find my grease so reassembling the bow washers was a little rough. I had to "stab" at it three or four times before I was comfortable that they went together without falling off.

My torque wrench only goes to 80 pounds, so I took note of exactly where "The Nut" was before I started and used my impact gun to try and put it back exactly where I found it. More art than science, but I suppose we'll see how she holds up over this summer's riding.

Now that I've said all that, let me say that it has been thunderstorming with tornado watches here for about four days, so I haven't really put it to the test. I have bounced it a few times in the garage, but nothing with any sort of load.

Thanks to everyone for their support. If you take the time to collect everything you're going to need before you start, this is really an easy repair.

Login or Register to Remove Ads