Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Cobra FI2000 PowrPro Tuner

I have read the forums looking for feedback on the various DFI tuners. Often, the installation of a tuner is concurrent with other modifications like induction and exhaust, so it becomes difficult to gauge the value of any one modification. I decided to give the Cobra auto-tuning FI2000 PowrPro a try, with the cooperation of my local Kawasaki dealer who agreed to take it back if I did not like it. I like the theory of using a data stream to continuously adjust the fuel/air ratio. Of course, it's all theory until you bolt it on and drive it.

I have a 2012 Voyager ABS. I decided to do a same day before and after test of the device, and collect what data that I could. I picked a 5-mile stretch of interstate where I could establish the bike at 70 mph with cruise control, then reset the factory MPG meter. I was lucky and did not have to brake, accelerate, or disconnect the cruise control during either the before or after test. The terrain is relatively flat with no net change in elevation over the course.

Results before, stock 2012 Voyager (no performance mods):
70 mph / 2500 RPM / 80-degrees F / Coolant Temp gauge 66% (4th mark)
Gas mileage 43.2 mpg

Results after installation of FI2000PP (no other performance mods):
70 mph / 2500 RPM / 85-degrees F / Coolant Temp gauge 66% (4th mark)
Gas mileage 46.9 mpg

My subjective impressions from riding the bike around town and on the road:
1) Noticeably smoother low rpm throttle response.
2) Exhaust decel backfiring, which was not bad, is pretty much gone.
3) My bike has 350 miles on it, so I am still in the break-in period and did not do any open throttle power tests or revs higher than 3000.

Installation took less than one hour. The instructions call for only raising the rear of the tank, but I removed it to have better access. It is truly plug-n-play... no wiring except a lead back to the battery neg terminal.

I plan on doing other performance mods. I have RACNRAY's throttle mod, and induction kit to install. Will probably put on Cobra tri-ovals too. Definitely going to wrap the exhaust pipes to control heat. I also ordered a Speedohealer (which is not plug-n-play for the Vulcan 1700) to correct the speedometer/odometer calibration - it's reads approx 7% high at highway speeds according to GPS. Annoying.

So far, I like the device. Don't notice any downside, but its very early in my evaluation. Would appreciate hearing results others have had. Assuming I keep it, I will update as other mods are added to the mix.

As a new member, I really appreciate these forums as an archival resource. Thanks all.
Mustang seat w/backrest
Wolo Bad Boy air horn
Kuryakyn isogrips w/Racnray throttle mod
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro DFI tuner
Max & Willie "Hooker"
SpeedoHealer
"Our worth is measured in the value we bring to others."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
cobra fi2000, fuel tuner, mileage, mods, powrpro