Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #11

If you take care of it, and don't mind a few "incidents" that are going to happen if you ride the bike... then it will last you for a long, long time.

Only reason to buy a new one is because you want new shiny paint and chrome. While I like my bikes to look nice... it is inevitable they are going to show some wear if you are riding it... and I bought mine to ride.

And besides... if you are riding it... no one sees the details of the paint or custom chrome anyway!

Going to try to ride today... although the temps look like they are going to stay at around 50 degrees... which is cold when riding... I don't care who you are, or how hot your engine is.

PS: Elvis... after the break-in on Dino oil... I switched to their best syn-oil, and fluids for the bike. It helped some in keeping it cooler. (Minor... but still worth it.) Also installed a Stage-1 breather, and re-mapped the motor slightly to accommodate more air. I did not change pipes... still have stock on mine and always will (so I can hear when riding). The breather helped cool it down some also. You have the oil-cooler on yours, so you'll get some relief from it, but the other suggestions can help also.

Last but not least, be watchful of your oil-cooler... it sits out front and low on the bike. There have been some that have had various things puncture it somehow; and dump all their oil on the road. I admit, it would be rare... but I do know it has happened. I saw it in Maggie Valley at the National at the HD dealer in Asheville, NC... a guy traveling from near Maine was broke down with his punctured. (I had mine there for another reason... of my own fault, which we will not mention.)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 09-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.