Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Vulcan Quick Turn Throttle Kit

Dave Shellenberger (dshelly on this forum) provided me with his throttle mod ring for evaluation on my 1700 Voyager.
Quick-turn throttles, also known as '1/5 throttle' or simply 'throttle mod' have been around for many years primarily for sport bikes but these are too small for the larger 1" handlebars used on cruisers. Dave has made a throttle mod ring to fit Vulcan 1600 and 1700.
This ring is just beautiful, CNC machined from 6061 aluminum, has a concave groove to keep the cables centered, 3 countersunk holes, and fits perfectly on the stock throttle tube. He also provided 3 screws and brief instructions on the installation.
I read the instructions and gathered up the required tools, and it took me 25 minutes to complete. I have had my throttle apart a few times to lubricate the cables so it was not the first time I was in there, or it may have taken a bit longer. The 1700 is a bit different than earlier Vulcans in that there is a chrome cap on top of the housing that holds the 2 halves together, remove that along with a clamp screw on the bottom. Also remove the cable clamp screw from the bottom.
Simply slide the ring in place and use it as a pattern to drill and tap the center hole, install the screw and repeat for the 2 other holes. Drilling and tapping the plastic was very easy, I didn't even use a tap wrench, just turned it in with my fingers. It was a bit tight to get the cables back on due to less slack but they will go on.
Since the ring is held on with 3 screws, it can be removed and put back to stock condition if desired, or reused on another bike.
I compared the throttle movement before and after, it turned about 95 degrees stock, and about 75 degrees with the mod ring installed. I also wound a string around the throttle and pulled it with a spring scale, 6 lbs to get it to turn stock and 8 lbs after the mod.
Then for the test ride, 80 miles at 80F in the Florida sunshine , I really like the quicker throttle response and after 2 hours without using the cruise control I could not feel any extra stress on my wrist from the added load. My stock throttle tube was worn and had a fair bit of end-play but adding this ring reduced that and it feels new again.
I understand Dave plans to make this kit available soon, and maybe a turn-around service if you want him to install the ring on your throttle tube, I'm sure he will chime in with those details.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads