Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to johnberryus
WTF Another Noise Question

I've searched through the forum on the subject of front end noise and I am not completely satisfied with the information I have gleaned.

I have an 05 VN1600 Which I just put a set of Exedra MAX tires on at the beginning of winter, I may have about 4000mi or so on them by now. I always run them @ 40 front and 42 rear Psi. and I ride everyday everywhere (I don't own a car).

The last few days I have detected what sounds to me at low speeds to be a wheel bearing um Whirr.. Whirr... Whirr at lower speed. The sound is increasing and decreasing with speed and does not matter if I'm leaning or not. Definitely not the brakes Plenty of pad left and the front wheel bearing does not feel loose (no Wobble). Also there is very very little detectable vibration (might be imagined ). The steering tree feels entirely stable as well, very smooth no play at all.

Could this be the tires? Might they be cupped, front or rear as I know that sometimes the rear can sound like it's coming from the front.

Any ideas or other things I should look at? Keep in mind I'm in an apartment and Can't tear anything down. I have the bike going over to my buddies to get the clutch spring fixed in a week or so, will it be safe until then?

2006 Silver and Black XL1200R Sportster "Beauty" (Sadly this is up for sale)

VBA #2066

Mokwa
Officer
Road Captain
Legion Of Sin MC

"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time." - General S. George Patton Jr

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
front end noise, noise, wheel bearing