Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

long story - floating needle leads to "dead by the side a road"

Last time out on the bike doing 75ish on 395 and Speedo needle started floating all over the place. At lower speed noticed it float more when using blinkers. Also when using front break? Got home put the battery tender on over night, green light full charge. Took her out this evening for test run absolutely no change same symptoms but bike is running strong. Had a church camp out to attend SO idiot boy here decided I'll take her out anyway.....Rode 1 hr to the campsite no problem, leaving this evening bike started as usual was putting my helmet on and noticed white smoke starting to billowing from under front seat thought "thats not good..." Good thing was had 3 brothers at the camp site who know their way around a bike. Got the battery out discovered melting plastic on wiring, and melted/burn on something that looks like a taped up junction box? (not main fuses). Taped up the wiring and junc box thing? Started her up same floating needle symptoms no sign of smoke though one guys said their was a faint smell. Headed home, everything is going OK until I stop for gas, bike wouldn't crank; slow turn over, then clicking. Give it a minute then she cranked up and Im on back roads 30 mins from home. Just about to get on 395, shifting into 3rd and lose power and dash display, she went for about and 3 mins then died by the side of the road, no turning just clicking. Good thing was she died beside the house of a brother that wasn't at the camp out he gave me a ride home. I've a new battery I'll install tomorrow hope to at least ride the bike home or to the shop. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

"Don't play pig when the butcher's coming"

Login or Register to Remove Ads