Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #1

Another pinion seal victim

So I was returning from a rally in the PNW when I started noticing a little gear lube dripping from the boot at the front of the drive shaft. By the time I got home it turned into a couple tablespoons worth in the driveway. After much research on this forum, turns out it was the pinion seal. I used the DIY instructions here and removed the drive unit, but I couldn't crack the retaining nut so I had to take it in to a shop to get it fixed. 2 weeks and $300 later, I got it back and re-installed it today.

While I had the rear-end taken apart, I took off the swing arm and lubed up everything properly including the bearings and the drive shaft. I went for a ride tonight and everything rides like a champ. Just wanted to say thanks for the Tech section and all the DIY info available on this site. I've only owned my Nomad for a year, but I've already saved myself several hundred dollars and a lot of stress by reading through the forum and knowing what the problem was before I went to a "stealership". I hope to get the chance to pay it forward.

cheers,
gascan

2001 Nomad 1500FI - Oct 2012- Apr 2015 SOLD

2006 Goldwing - Oct 2014-present

Login or Register to Remove Ads