Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Tuning the 1700

I haven't been here for awhile but thought I would share something here that can help with tuning and backfiring issues again on the 1700 Vulcans. After adding the Freedom 2-1 performance pipe ( a very good pipe at a great price) and a big air kit from Roaring Toyz, and plugging off the switch air valves up under the tank, I also placed the Thunder intake manifold gasket in there. I had the Cobra FI2000R "auto tuner" hooked up and still had problems. That particular tuner was not worth the 420 bucks I paid for it. The bike would still backfire and felt like the power just wasn't there like it should be. At this point I felt that auto tuner was a joke and a complete waste of $$. I went ahead and purchased the Cobra FI2000 Tri-Pot tuner for a mere 175.00 and change, installed it and the instructions tell you how to set it up. 3 little tiny screw adjustments right in the unit...it comes with default settings on 1 and 2 and 3 is set at the base setting. You start with the first "pot" or screw and run with that at the base setting, then go up from there until your bike starts to run right. With my 2-1 pipe and big air, I now have my Vaquero running perfect with no more back firing, super crisp starts and response from idle, and a strong hard hit right at about 3400 RPM to the top of the torque curve (about 5,000 RPM). It ended up with the 1 and 2 screws both on the number 2 positions, and the 3rd screw at the 1 position for the big air. My fuel economy has even improved some and the bike runs better than it ever has in the one year now I have owned it. Best 175 bones I ever spent on a tuner. The thing works like no other, finally got the beast right. I hope this helps you guys that might still have the afore mentioned issues.

Login or Register to Remove Ads