Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Charging issues Maint BEFORE it Happens

ASAP I am going to give my 06 1600 a good look over because i do not care to deal with a charging system failure.

The plan is to open the ground gang of wires at the battery box, the starter relay, the 2 connectors under the left side cover and inspect, clean and die electric grease all of these parts, and by hand wire brush the cooling fins on the 2 rec regs.

98% of the time these failures are caused by crudlings and heat, known in the tech world as high resistance connections. Heat makes the contacts oxidize and that makes crudlings. Simply cleaning and stopping more crudlings works and well if you beat the problem so it never becomes a real problem.

Age has something to do with it as well, and since there is a burst of activity just now, Now seems to be the time to get on this and deal with it.

Besides fried orange connectors off color wire at the connectors is another sign. The wire insulation will turn tan, or be some other color that the rest of the insulation, shrink back from the crimps and just be different from what it should be. This happens to just about everything sooner or later.

So if you want to beat the charging system gremlins before they bite you, get this done ASAP.

A can of electrical cleaner, a roll of tape, sand paper, and some grease made for wiring is all you need.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads