Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Bevel gear bearing? Wheel bearing? how to know?

New member, btw. I've had my 99 Nomad 1500 for a few years now but just never got involved in an forum communities.

I was doing a search for procedures on replacing front wheel bearings. I know its a dirt-simple job, but wondered if anyone had tips like "don't get X brand bearings they suck" or "make sure to lube such and such." I came across some that it was actually the bevel gear bearing. I thought I would describe mine and see if I could narrow down the issue before throwing parts at it.

almost 40k miles. When I bought it, the front tire was a cheap brand and the tread was cupped, so I expected the growling I heard. Last year I put brand new Michelins on the bike and the noise remained which made me think front bearings. The noise is not a whine or "turbine" noise like some have described, its a growl and I can feel the buzz in the grips. Slightly worse when turning and the same during accel and decel. I had the calipers off when I did tires and couldn't detect any play in the bearings.

Does this sound like wheel bearings or bevel bearings?

Login or Register to Remove Ads