Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

bevel gear bearing 1999 nomad 1500

I recently had clutch work done on my bike in a shop... they replaced my oil gear for me previously. also have learned the noise i was hearing on the road (whine on decel) is potentially the bevel gear bearing, which most likely is what caused the clutch to fail.

looking through the manual i have, and if im not mistaken, the front bevel gear bearing attaches after the driveshaft after the u joint leading into the differential? is that correct? I am debating whether to tackle this project myself, and also if in the process, if i should just go through the whole differential, and u joint assembly.

I have two to three options.

1. have the shop do it. (it is still there.) $$$$$$

2. attempt to tackle this task myself.... with some help $$

3. take the bike home remove all necessary parts, and remove the differential and driveshaft. give it to the shop, let them fix it, and reinstall on my own. $$$$

My personal thinking is option two and or three. I have seen various posts on this topic, but little to no photos, or videos of the process on the internet. I almost want to buy a used drive and differential off of ebay to get a better understanding of the components and process.

I saw mas has a wealth of knowledge on this topic, hint hint..

Sorry im longwinded here. any suggestions or advice you give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, kevin

Login or Register to Remove Ads