Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2024, 02:18 PM   #1

Vulcan Nomad 1600 FI red hot exhaust manifold

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum so I thought I would introduce myself. I'm Ray from Calgary Alberta, Canada.

I recently bought a 2002 Vulcan Nomad 1500 FI. Beautiful bike and beautiful condition but needed a few things done. Lots of help found on this forum and others! Thanks to all for their posts!

While I sorted out some minor issues, I now have one bigger one. I hated the kuryakin hypercharger in the way of my leg. The bike had all the original air intake stuff in a box from when the hypercharger was installed. It was a bit of a task but I removed the hypercharger system and put the original parts back in. The bike starts and runs fine and actually idles better than it did before. The problem I have is that at least the rear cylinder is running too hot. Red hot exhaust manifold pipe after running just a few minutes. Also backfires on deceleration.

I know this means it's running too rich, causing unburned fuel to be burnt in the pipe but I don't know why. I should mention that it has a cobra exhaust system, not factory.

I changed the plugs and checked all the old ones as I took them out. They all looked like they were burning fine. Put the new plugs in and same thing happens.

Reed valves had been removed and the plate mod done. Air intake has had the solenoids removed and all holes blocked (unused small vacuum lines And large hole for the unused tube from the baffle system for the reed valves). Vacuum ports on air intake manifold plugged.

I've seen some posts that say something else has to be done when removing the hypercharger system. I don't think this has been chipped or has had the ignition modified.

I've watched some videos about how simple the open loop fuel injection system is. Doesn't seem like there's any adjustment there.

I'll mention again that this condition did not happen before I swapped the air intake system.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads