Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #16

Rubber Pointy Things

OK, pictures are worth a 1000 words as they say.
First does Doc have a 1500 or a 1600?
Here are the pics of what they look like on my 2007 1600.

This is how the pointy things are molded in to the plastic on my bike.

Couldn't a person drill a hole and put some washers on each side of the plastic then attach the archery point to it?
Or dose this not look like the 1500's?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #17

Rubber Pointy Things

Doc does have a 1600, and TC, those arrow tips look like you could make them work, but he'll have to cut the reinforcement gusset off the inside to where when he drills his hole it would line-up in the right spot.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #18

Rubber Pointy Things

Yes he would VE, I figure he could put a metal strip behind the side where the reinforcement things have to be removed. The arrow points are a little hard to get out. They slip in perfectly. He may have to make the rubber holes a tiny bit bigger or file down the back of the points to where they are not flat but slant a little.
Hey, it's worth a shot
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #19

Rubber Pointy Things

Note to self: remove tool kit from side cover and keep in saddlebags. One less reason to take the cover off.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #20

Rubber Pointy Things

That locking cover is a good place to put stuff that you never want to remove. Like my Hoppy converter. or a garage door button like Gadget recommended.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Rubber Pointy Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
That locking cover is a good place to put stuff that you never want to remove. Like my Hoppy converter. or a garage door button like Gadget recommended.
+1...that's where my garage button is. I also installed an accessory fuse panel in there since I don't have the Calif. model and I have a lot of extra room in there. Works Great!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Rubber Pointy Things

TC it looks like you might have a brillant idea there. if you could walk me thur what your thinking as far as where the adapter would fit in regards to the SS point. I understand the point would slid thur the rubber grommet. But where would the adapter go and how would one secure it to the black plastic. How much modification would I need to do. i really appreciate your input into this since your idea seems to be the best.

Dennis

Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #23

Rubber Pointy Things

Heres what i was thinking.
You remove the piece of plastic that supported the original point with a dremil tool or whatever.
Then you put a piece of angle shaped metal in it,s place with rivits through the back of the tool thing.
Next, drill a hole just big enough to let the point go through up to the first shoulder.
Now put a washer on the point and insert it into the hole you drilled.
Put some locktite on the threads of the point and screw the adapter on backwards.
You may have to bevel the back of thee point as it is flat and comes out of the rubber hard.

Here is a diagram of what I'm talking about. Not very clear but you may be able to make it out.

Now with all that being said, dkdixie said "One of mine broke off, did a little Dremel work to flaten out surfaces, and installed bolt with nuts on both sides. Works fine"
I think I would go with his idea. Much simpler and works just as good if not better.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #24
Top Contributor

Rubber Pointy Things

Wow, I finally found the part(whole plastic box that mounts to frame) at bikebandit and it is $80 plus S&H, how many of those you want?hahha, I will sit down and look close at it next day off and decide if I want the bolt idea or a tip. It would have to be ss bolt/nut. if the nut is on the outside of the cover and the bolt head is on the inside of cover, what keeps bolt from just spinning when you loosen the nut??? Sounds like some modiifcations are maybe needed. Thanks guys for all the ideas and especially TC. Ride Easy!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #25

Rubber Pointy Things

I don't think you bolt the cover to the bike.
I think you drill a hole in the plastic box just big enough to fit the bolt through. Then instal the bolt from the inside of the plastic box. Now you put the nut on the bolt and tighten it down. This will leave a portion of the bolt sticking out the front of of the plastic box.
Now you use that sticking out bolt as the pointy thing and just slip your cover over it.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #26

Rubber Pointy Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Wow, I finally found the part(whole plastic box that mounts to frame) at bikebandit and it is $80 plus S&H, how many of those you want?hahha, I will sit down and look close at it next day off and decide if I want the bolt idea or a tip. It would have to be ss bolt/nut. if the nut is on the outside of the cover and the bolt head is on the inside of cover, what keeps bolt from just spinning when you loosen the nut??? Sounds like some modiifcations are maybe needed. Thanks guys for all the ideas and especially TC. Ride Easy!
Doc, I made an incorrect statement in my post about installing bolt. I just used one nut on the inside. Thought about using two, but didn't.
I get confused in my old age.

Mine that broke was the top one. Used a Dremel tool to cut out the diagonal reinforcement wedge as shown in TC's pic. Then drilled hole slightly smaller than bolt. Ran bolt through, which cut its own threads in the soft plastic. Put nut on inside, next to bolt head as jam nut with a tiny dap of glue between nut & plastic and again between nut and bolt head. All I was attempting to do was give a little extra support to bolt and help keep it lined up straight.
Did this 5-6 months ago. Cover has been on and off many times.
Paint the threads black and nobody, including you, will ever notice.

Works good as the little pointy things and is a lot stronger.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider