Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #16
Advanced Member

country boy to you city slickers

We decided to go by cage the day before we left. Kinda glad we did. So much traffic going out took us 14hr to get there, should have been 10hr.
We had about 1 hour and half delay in Baton Rouge trying to get on I-10 from I-12.
then in Lafayette sat still for about 2 hours, a motorcycle fatality.

We saw where my buddy's wreak was. They were coming from Galveston and around mile marker 8 is where it happened.

Lw my hats off to you. That's alot of cement everywhere out there. I think there are more cars in the Houston area than in all of Alabama lol.
VBA #00077

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #17
VBA Founder

Not that I'm the most experienced at it, but I've ridden through traffic in several major cities....Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Denver, Tulsa, OK City, Little Rock, Memphis, etc.... Just keep your eyes open constantly and keep your attention on what's going on in front of you. Watch every car that is in front of you and to your sides.

I keep an eye on their front wheels...that's the first indicator that they're about to pull in front of you. Also, don't ride side-by-side with a car or truck. Either speed up and get in front of them or get behind them.

My 2 centavos worth.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Rules that I live by as well!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Take a bus
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #20

I ride through Manhattan, mostly the West Side Highway or the FDR Drive to Brooklyn (over the Brooklyn Bridge). Stay with the flow (almost like a school of fish) and leave space in front of you (2 second rule). I don't care if someone wants to move in front of me and I don't move back and forth from lane to lane. I know what lane I want to be in and stay there. When I get to the Bridge, I am usually right there with all those who weave from lane to lane. Watch your back. I have a brake light flasher which starts flashing fast and progressively slower. That usually keeps them back. I won't split lanes, even though most bikes here do it (even though it's illegal). Only time they get caught that I have seen is on the Deegan where the cops set up and then impound the bikes. Heavy traffic is a pain, you end up getting too much slow speed handling practice. But I still won't split lanes. Too many drivers thinking only about themselves, making too many quick moves. You've got to "own" your part of the lane and make sure everyone knows you're there. The only guys I don't "beat" are the bikes which split lanes, but they take a risk beyond my comfort level. I always keep in mind..."There are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but there are no old, bold motorcyclists".

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Mega-Contributor

I spent last week in the Bay Area and got to witness lane splitting first hand. I don't know if I have the guts to ride between cars on the freeway. Mostly it was sportbikes I saw doing it. I saw one rider go into panic mode as he was splitting the lane and a guy about 3 cars up decided to change lanes to the left while we were stuck in a merge due to a couple of lanes being lost to construction.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17