Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #31
Top Contributor

Tools for Breakdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd (Nomadis Custodis)
I carry a cruztools RoadTech M3 kit, along with a few odds and ends I have added. That kit comes in pretty handy and fits nicely in the saddlebags. Let's me keep my shop tools in the shop and these are tough little tools.

That is a nice looking kit. Only one problem, why don't they ever include a good knife? I always carry a blade of some type. Once on the road a buddy broke down in the dark and we had no tools, but I had a knife. Walked out into a hay field and cut the twine off some bails and made a tow rope. Towed his harley with my honda. What I would have given for a camera.
hmmm....sorry OP....I guess I don't consider a knife a tool.....my knife is kind of like my wallet....if I put my pants on I have my knife in my pocket :)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Tools for Breakdowns

I just missed it Audio... That and the allens, smaller wrenchs to access any wiring is all I really care about on local rides. Going outside my area I will carry more. Which will include a small 12 dcv air compressor, and of course tire tools.

More often than not it is HD I end up using even metric tools on locally. Last year I found one with the rear cogs on the wheel all missing but one bolt and one nut. I ran for bolts to a local hardware store, and got the bike on the road again pretty quick, but cautioned the rider to get the new bolts torqued right, since that wasn't going to happen with a couple 19mm wrenches less than 8 inches long. One socket and shortie ratchet really and a smaller wrench.

I wish riders would be a little more involved with their rides. A more personal level of checking things out before and after rides. No one needs to be a tech to see and find things loose!

These ain't CARS!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #33

Tools for Breakdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Okay... Okay... Okay... that is far too "unspecific" of information for anyone to be able to put together a comprehensive "tool-kit" together.

Guys........ all that has been mentioned is nothing more than "general" descriptions of tools -- no SPECIFIC SIZES OR TYPES OF TOOLS HAVE BEEN MENTIONED.

I think it would be great to finally have SPECIFIC LIST of tools (sizes included); fuses (specific types); and etc that work for the Nomad -- and that would be a great "emergency-kit" to have when out on the road.

SO.... PLEASE GUYS... BE SPECIFIC IN YOUR TOOLS AND ACCESSORIES THAT YOU CARRY SO A LIST CAN BE PUT TOGETHER. ;) ;)
OK OK Greg. We forgot you now ride a Harley and having the right tools to get back on the road would be very important to you!!!!!

On long trips like Custer I carried:

full 3/8" socket set with 8-22MM sockets extensions and universal
full allen drive sockets for all sizes used on the Nomad
Large channel locks
Adjustable wrench
needle nose pliers
wire cutter/stripper
25 feet of med. ga wire
wire connectors
spare headlight bulb
hand crank flashlight
tire plugs and air supply pump
screwdrivers, phillips large and small sized
spare spark plugs
Hand towel
Sealed bag of Armor All plexiglass cleaner towels.
Thought I was being a little more "sutle" than that... but "busted"!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #34

Tools for Breakdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw
Mine did not have the kit from the factory. I have a canvas tool roll I purchased and added basic screw drivers, standard and waterpump pliers, allen wrench set, most common rachet wrenches and 1/4" sockets, rachet, and extension.
Are you sure about that????....

I bought my Nomad used. The guy I bought it from complained about not getting a tool-kit with the bike.

I took the bike home... read the manual... and "low-and-behold"... there WAS a toolkit. He just didn't know where to look for it.

Don't know about your bike... but you might want to open-up one more compartment under the left-side-cover and double-check to see if yours has a toolkit.

Let me know if you find it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #35

Tools for Breakdowns

This is exactly what I had and was able to do quite a bit with it.

Stock tool bag--
17mm/14mm open end wrench
8mm/10mm open end wrench
10mm/12mm open end wrench
Pliers
Full set of allen wrenches
Spark plug socket
Phillips and flat screwdriver

Other thinks I've added in a small bag--
Duck tape (about 3' wrapped around a pencil)
Zip ties
Trash bags
Tire plug kit
Electrical tape
Leather-man

Thinks I needed and wished I had
13mm wrench (Those who have added chucksters plates, also added small spacers under the tank and used his supplied bolts. Those are 13mm.....)
12v tester
Manual (which I usually carry with)

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #36

Tools for Breakdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
[quote author=markw board=general thread=15891 post=248571 time=1267969318] Mine did not have the kit from the factory. I have a canvas tool roll I purchased and added basic screw drivers, standard and waterpump pliers, allen wrench set, most common rachet wrenches and 1/4" sockets, rachet, and extension.
Are you sure about that????....

I looked some time ago. I'm sure. I read every page of Gadget's site and have some of them memorized. :)