Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Don't point with your foot ! !

Dumb mistake costs him his life.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...k/?partner=RSS

VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Or learn to ride before you point at things with your foot.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #3

"high rate of speed" "not wearing a helmet" Sounds like foot pointing was the least of his worries. Sorry he had to die but dang people. I feel for his family.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Know the road you are riding expecially if you are going to be traveling at a high rate of speed. Sorry to hear of the death of a rider regardless of the cause.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

For some people it shouldn't be done(pointing with your foot), for others it's no problem, and for some that is is no problem at all it can be a problem at certain moments. It's complicated.

If you picture a tall glass of beer/water that is only partially full, consider the empty portion at the top as your reserve of skill and mental awareness. Some people are riding around with an almost empty glass, meaning that there is a lot of reserve that can be used before exceeding what can be done. Some have an almost full glass, meaning that it doesn't take much to go over the edge.

For some who are riding around almost on the edge all the time, they better not even wave. They better just concentrate. I wave, even in tight corners, but I don't expect the oncoming rider to wave back in a tight corner. I'm comfortable doing the corner with one hand, but I don't expect every oncoming rider to be comfortable doing it.

We talked in another thread about having bad days where things don't feel right. You have abrupt stops that should be smooth etc. On one of those days it's easier to exceed your reserve of concentration and ability. When we've dropped the bike for no good reason at all at a stop, we've momentarily exceeded our reserve.

If you've ever dropped your bike at a stop, you can't point the finger at this guy. You just had a better moment do exceed your reserve and have a bad outcome.

If this action of pointing with his foot would exceed his reserves on many days, he was dumb to do it, especially in a corner. If it was a fluke like when we drop our bikes(I did it in my garage once) he couldn't have know it would exceed his reserves and have a disastrous outcome.

Some people should never wave, should never point with their foot, and shouldn't really be riding at all. Some riders just have a momentary lapse of concentration like when I pulled into my garage and didn't get the kick stand all the way forward, let the bike fall over like always after putting the kickstand down all in one motion, and had the back fall into my rototiller.

I don't think that because of that momentary lapse in concentration and manual dexterity that I don't belong on a bike. Who knows if he was an accident waiting to happen, or a fluke like my garage incident. He did die trying to help his fellow man.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

Agreed!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #7

Great points Dan.

When getting my pilot's license, my instructor spent a great deal of time on "unusual attitude" flying; or "adverse-condition" flying.

In these adverse situations, he explained, ad nauseam, that one should avoid the distractions and "fly the plane".

A great example of this is when Captain Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger landed his plane in the Hudson River. If anyone has ever googled the animation with the cockpit voice recordings -- you will notice he eliminated all distractions and simply flew his airplane. His discipline to do this is what saved everyone's life.

The same applies to riding motorcycles... Know what your limits are (they change from hour to hour, day to day), and "fly the plane" first and foremost.

Waving, pointing out obstacles, and other things that take your hands off the bars and detracts from your concentration should be a avoided so you can "ride the bike first" and foremost.

Really sorry to hear about this person's tragedy, as he was just trying to help others from having his ultimate fate.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #8

GL and Dan - I have hear it referred to as "ride at 90% of your ability" meaning you should feel like you have an extra 10% in that tight corner and a problem comes up, you have that extra ability. Always a good reminder for me. But I think we're all saying close to the same thing.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #9

I looked at the map of the area and read several of the comments on the article. It seems this are is a frequent location for riders racing up and down the road due to the amount of curves it has. I'm sorry his family has to endure this tragedy,but he should have thought about his family before getting on a motorcycle without the proper gear and riding illegally on a public street.
My condolences to the ones left behind.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

I've ridden that road many times. It's not a road you want to speed on. Lots of curves, not much of a shoulder, trees right up to the side of the road in lots of places and lots of almost hidden driveways.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #11

If you are riding in a group and are capable and feel comfortable warning of roadway hazards, then I believe it's good and courteous to do so. I've noticed several riders I've followed pointing out hazards with the right foot dangerously close to the pavement. I'm talking about less than 1 inch from the road. I wonder if this is what happened to this guy? High speed and an outstretched foot touching the pave can lead to disaster. I feel sorry for his family and friends that he left behind.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #12

If there is a hazard in the road to my left I point with my hand. If it is to the right I point with my right foot. I have had my foot touch down a couple times. I still point with my foot but keep it up higher. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]