Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #31

Quote:
i was very dissappointed when i rode it out of the shop. BUT its all comin together now.
Nomad's really come alive when you allow them to breath!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #32

They certainly do, i also ride a BMW R1150RT, cant bring myself to sell it.
Thats why i thought the Nomad to be a bit of a dog, i've never owned a cruiser before, maybe i was expecting too much. Anyhow i'm starting to enjoy it.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #33
Top Contributor

The Nomad has less than 70hp and weighs almost 900#. It IS a dog (although there are things you can do to give it some life). However, it wasn't meant to be a sports (or sport tourer) bike. Someone once said, the Nomad (and probably all Vulcans) are good at everything but not great at any one thing. For it's intended purpose (general cruising with the occasional day trip/weekender), it does a very good job. Just expect to get laughed at if you take it to the drag strip or the track.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #34

Yeah, i'm gettin the idea. When i first got it, me and the cook done a 6000km round trip to Ayres Rock, pullin a trailer. It done the job nicely. I've since put the EJK on it and its improving, BAK next and i see what happens.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyjer View Post
Nomad's really come alive when you allow them to breath!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyjer View Post
OK, that does it! I just ordered the gen3 EJK. I will keep you posted. It comes preloaded with stage 1 settings. I feel that is where my bike is with tri-ovals and K&N filter (no BAK yet). Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo222 View Post
I've got the GEN 3 EJK, love it. Made a hell of a difference to my 1700 Nomad.
I had a Doebeck on my Harley and it improved performance nicely. Also cut out some of decel popping that the lean OEM ECM had before. However for my Nomad I ordered the PCV with onboard Ignition advance instead. I did this because folks I talked to said I could get more perforance gains with PCV compared to the Doebeck EJK.

I have not received the PCV yet, when it comes I will be running just Cobra Tri-Ovals with it for awhile, later will add BAK.

Would be interested in hearing the difference you guys get from your new EJKs. BTW Doebeck offers substantial Veterans and active duty discounts. Make sure you ask or tell them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Would be interested in hearing the difference you guys get from your new EJKs
I will keep you posted!

Quote:
They certainly do, i also ride a BMW R1150RT, cant bring myself to sell it.
There are times when I wish I had a sports bike like yours! They look fun!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #37

Popping

Okay, I have the cobra fi2000 with the 3 adjustable settings. Any suggestions where they should be. Still getting popping on decel with settings at 1.5-3-1
I was at 3-3-1 and feel popping has been reduced. Bike has good smooth acceloration and getting 39 mpg. I have air kit and tri-ovals.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
Okay, I have the cobra fi2000 with the 3 adjustable settings. Any suggestions where they should be. Still getting popping on decel with settings at 1.5-3-1
I was at 3-3-1 and feel popping has been reduced. Bike has good smooth acceloration and getting 39 mpg. I have air kit and tri-ovals.
Do you still have the instructions that came with your unit? The settings for the Vulcan 1700 with aftermarket exhaust are supposed to be preset when you receive it. Hopefully you made note of this. They also state that the default settings are:

4.5 / 4.5 / 0

Those first two pots seem somewhat high to me and you claim to have had good results with 3 / 3 / 1 so I'd start there. The first pot usually controls popping.

For advanced tuning Cobra recommends starting the first/green pot at 0 and working your way up one step at a time until you get the best performance.
If it is still popping try one more step up.

And finally (this should actually be your first step) make sure you have blocked the Air Injection Line (Often called "Marbling") from your right side air box, or you will likely be setting the Cobra needlessly rich (especially if you are trying to use it to control popping). "Marbling" alone can sometimes be effective at controlling much of the decel popping.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 08-27-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #39

Popping

Yes, air tube is blocked off. I originally started at 4.5-4.5-0 but still had popping. Was reading on this post that being to lean can cause this too. Went out after my last post with 5-5-1 . That may have worked better. But the air was cooling down outside and I have noticed when below 80 and drier air most popping goes away anyway. Will keep playing with it.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #40

Old crow what's marble

Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by denturist1 View Post
Old crow what's marble
Marble is another term for blocking off the hoses and epa stuff which you basically remove when you add an aftermarket air filter like a hypercharger, it is called that because some of the parts are blocked off using a marble.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220