Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

WTF 2010 Voyager Blinker Problem

Question for those of you who know answers to electrical questions... I have a 2010 Voyager that the turn signals don't work. Everything else on that handlebar works (radio controls, hi beams, etc) so I know it's not in that housing or wiring. Also checked the fuse, that's good as well. Even put in a new one just for the heck of it, still doesn't work.

The front right signal is currently broke off (no turn signal, wires exposed) but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it - who knows, I could be totally wrong. None of the turn signals work, and none of the indicator lights on the dash work either - it's just like they don't exist.

What should I do?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitars4god86 View Post
Question for those of you who know answers to electrical questions... I have a 2010 Voyager that the turn signals don't work. Everything else on that handlebar works (radio controls, hi beams, etc) so I know it's not in that housing or wiring. Also checked the fuse, that's good as well. Even put in a new one just for the heck of it, still doesn't work.

The front right signal is currently broke off (no turn signal, wires exposed) but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it - who knows, I could be totally wrong. None of the turn signals work, and none of the indicator lights on the dash work either - it's just like they don't exist.

What should I do?
Which fuse did you check? Should be the one for the turn signal control relay. Also, do you have a volt / ohm meter handy?

Don't know about the Voyager, but on the Nomad, power for the turn signals comes from the ignition switch (brown wire) through the relay fuse to the relay (orange wire with green stripe), then to the switch (orange wire), and then to each turn signal through either a gray wire (right side) or a green wire (left side). All are grounded by a black wire with a yellow stripe. (The instrument panel light is connected to both the gray wire and the green wire and gets grounded through whichever turn signal bulbs are NOT on.)

There are a couple of joint connectors (I'm guessing they are probably in the headlight bucket) that connect the turn signals with the relay, the switch, and ground. Start there with checking connections. With a turn signal on, you should have 12 volts on the brown wire and the orange wire with the green stripe, a blinking 12 volts on the orange wire, a blinking 12 volts on either the green or gray wire, and 0 volts on the black wire with the yellow stripe.

No 12 volts on the brown wire at fuse - no power from ignition switch - check ignition switch and wire between switch and fuse.
No 12 volts on the orange with green stripe wire at relay - no power from relay fuse to relay - check fuse and wire from fuse to relay.
No blinking 12 volts on the orange wire from relay to switch - no power from relay to switch - check relay, ground connection to relay, and wire between relay and switch, including connector.
No blinking 12 volts on either the green or grey wire - no power from switch to lights - check switch, wires and connectors.
12 volts on black wire with yellow stripe coming from lights - open ground connection - check connectors.

Since your problem seems to affect all the turn signals as well as the indicator, I'm guessing power isn't getting to the relay / switch, or there is an open ground. If those exposed wires in the broken turn signal touched each other, you'd definitely blow the fuse and maybe damage the relay as well. So I'd fix that first.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #3

Buddy of mine had a similar problem with the headlight switch, turned out is the copper contacts not connecting properly inside the switch, he got it replaced under warranty.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

Start by checking the fuse, and then the flasher, but if a signal light is missing, that side won't work regardless.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Start by checking the fuse, and then the flasher, but if a signal light is missing, that side won't work regardless.
Actually my voyager front signals will still work with the back ones disconnected, I know because I just took the back ones off to replace them with the plasma strips and before I hooked up the strips I tried the lights.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #6

Thanks @Tomm for the info - very helpful. I'll check on those voltages this weekend.

The fuse I checked was indeed for the turn signals.

Thanks everyone else for suggestions - I'll update with info when I know.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

why wouldn't you just take a bike that is under warranty like yours back to the dealer and have them fix it?
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Tags
blinker, electrical, fuse, turn signal, voyager