Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Waving Big Man Windshield – Vented or Not?

I’m new to the forum, just purchased my 2001 Vulcan Nomad Fi Saturday 4/6.

I am a big guy (6’6”) and am getting ready to purchase a replacement windshield (“Clearview” or a “Cee Bailey”) since the current factory one is way too short. I am planning on following the website instructions on fitting for height and I understand the theory about relieving pressure and I like the idea of getting some air on hot days. But after looking a lot of different forums (Harley, Goldwing, Vulcan, etc) there isn't a whole lot of actual rider info/feedback on vented vs non-vented windshields. From the rides and poker runs I have done in the past the only vented shields I have ever remember seeing is on sport-cruisers and full-dressers.

Any Nomad riders have a vented windshield? Anyone had one of each before? Let me know your thoughts good and bad. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoug17 View Post
I’m new to the forum, just purchased my 2001 Vulcan Nomad Fi Saturday 4/6.

I am a big guy (6’6”) and am getting ready to purchase a replacement windshield (“Clearview” or a “Cee Bailey”) since the current factory one is way too short. I am planning on following the website instructions on fitting for height and I understand the theory about relieving pressure and I like the idea of getting some air on hot days. But after looking a lot of different forums (Harley, Goldwing, Vulcan, etc) there isn't a whole lot of actual rider info/feedback on vented vs non-vented windshields. From the rides and poker runs I have done in the past the only vented shields I have ever remember seeing is on sport-cruisers and full-dressers.

Any Nomad riders have a vented windshield? Anyone had one of each before? Let me know your thoughts good and bad. Thanks.
I just put a new stock height Clearview with upper recurve on my 1500 - no vent... Tales of them starting to rattle after a short time scared me off.

I'm very pleased with the shield itself though - that recurve really works. If you go with a larger size than stock with Clearview - it'll come wider as well.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I have a clearview vented shield for my Road Glide and I would not recommend the vent. You feel no noticable air flow, it rattles, bugs get stuck in every little crevice and it is a bugger to remove and clean the vent. Also, if you forget to close the vent in a rain storm, the rain is diverted up right in to your field of vision. I would not bpurchase a vented shield again. Oh yea, it is fuggly!

Tags
ball, tall, vent, vented, windshield