Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #1

02 nomad..deer whistles

...Here's How Mine Are Mounted !

There are those that claim "Deer Whistles" Dont Work....

It Aint A Good Idea To Take On A Deer While Riding A Motorcycle..So in a effort to reduce that chance, I installed a $5 set of Walmart Deer Whistles on my Big Assed Bike ! (2002 Nomad)

Again-Do They Work ? I drove OTR Trucks for several million miles...on several occasions I nailed a deer at 60 -70 mph (and a cow one dark night in Wyoming)...Fiber Glass truck components dont do well against such encounters..and I damn sure dont want to have a high speed encounter with -any animal while on my bike

After installing Deer Whistles on my trucks I never hit another animal ! (that's why I use them..so far.. THEY WORK FOR ME ! )

Since installing them on my Big Assed Bike, ..To date I "came close" to a coyote one cold night in south eastern Oregon..and have seen several deer turn and run -off the road- as I approached...So Far So Good !

If you go this route...mount the whistle (according to the instructions) one under each floorboard -inside the rib, this places the intake forward and wont drag the whistle off the mount, if you get deep enough into a turn to drag the floor boards...I'v dragged my floor boards several times since this install and never took off a whistle !
...You need to clean the whistles ever so offten..as they plug up with insects you hit on the road ! ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEER WHISTLE INSTALLED.jpg (95.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DEER WISTLE UNDER FLOORBOARD.jpg (95.9 KB, 63 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
...Here's How Mine Are Mounted !

There are those that claim "Deer Whistles" Dont Work....

It Aint A Good Idea To Take On A Deer While Riding A Motorcycle..So in a effort to reduce that chance, I installed a $5 set of Walmart Deer Whistles on my Big Assed Bike ! (2002 Nomad)

Again-Do They Work ? I drove OTR Trucks for several million miles...on several occasions I nailed a deer at 60 -70 mph (and a cow one dark night in Wyoming)...Fiber Glass truck components dont do well against such encounters..and I damn sure dont want to have a high speed encounter with -any animal while on my bike

After installing Deer Whistles on my trucks I never hit another animal ! (that's why I use them..so far.. THEY WORK FOR ME ! )

Since installing them on my Big Assed Bike, ..To date I "came close" to a coyote one cold night in south eastern Oregon..and have seen several deer turn and run -off the road- as I approached...So Far So Good !

If you go this route...mount the whistle (according to the instructions) one under each floorboard -inside the rib, this places the intake forward and wont drag the whistle off the mount, if you get deep enough into a turn to drag the floor boards...I'v dragged my floor boards several times since this install and never took off a whistle !
...You need to clean the whistles ever so offten..as they plug up with insects you hit on the road ! ...
Well I don't know about Deer but I know for a fact they don't work on kangaroos. Like you I drove a truck for years crisscrossing this country and with or without a whistle the kill rate was about the same. Only a few die hards bother with them now.
We find it better to use heavy correctly angled roo bars to deflect them away from the windscreen so they don't come through and try and ride shotgun with ya. Don't laugh, it happens lots of times mainly with cars. Would be a lot better if the damn things ran like any other normal animal instead of jump!
As for my bike well I just try not to ride dusk or dawn.

Last edited by muz; 02-04-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #3

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
I've hit just as many deer with them on as I've hit without. My Vn 800 had whistles and loud pipes in my first strike.

I did exhaustive research into the matter years ago after my second deer strike and every experiment drew an inconclusive result.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5090740_ef...-whistles.html

Relying on my failing memory, the Georgia State Patrol no longer mounts the whistles on their cruisers like they once did because of the ineffectiveness.

Bearing that in mind, while I still don't have them, giving them the benefit of doubt, if they are as much as 10% effective, they are worth having.

In my mind, a controlled experiment would be difficult to say the least because I know a mere twig snap, or moving clothing startles a deer, and at the same time on separate occasions I've came close to running over two with my tractor hiding in the grass.

Just sayin'.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 AM   #4

..Well ..like I said..they --seem-- to be working for me -- SO FAR !, and dont weigh much..cause much drag...cost very much..etc

As for the "Roo Deflector"..seeing them on all the big land trains-trucks- and other vehicles Down-Under, certainly say's something about how dangerous the "Roo's" are, down there.
I was going to put a "Bull/Roo Catcher" on my F250 4x4 Power Stroke Diesel CrewCab..then the price of fuel got so high..my truck just sits in the car port all the time now (considering a adapation to LPG..gotta love that "fracking")and I do have the deer whistles on all my vehicles.
But then..being priced out of diesel fuel, gives me more $$$/time, to spend riding my Big Assed Bike !

Of Course the collision rate Down Under..may be related to the fact everyone down there drives on the wrong side of the road a lot of time ! ??? ;>0 (i jus couldnt resist)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 02-04-2014 at 03:27 AM.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #5

Deer Whistles

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

I would think if the deer whistles really worked, new cars would come with them.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #7

My cottage area is over run with deer especially in winter. Not uncommon to see a dozen or so at a time hanging out in my back field and all along the roads. Usually when you see one on the roads there is one or more in the bush. If these whistles work in scaring them, great.
But the big flaw is deer don't always have the sense to run away from the road staying on the side they are on. they are just as likely to run across the road before heading into the bush on the other side.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #8

Ive never had much faith in those whistles myself. Ive seen cars with them still hit deer. Maybe some deer have bad hearing....

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..Well ..like I said..they --seem-- to be working for me -- SO FAR !, and dont weigh much..cause much drag...cost very much..etc

As for the "Roo Deflector"..seeing them on all the big land trains-trucks- and other vehicles Down-Under, certainly say's something about how dangerous the "Roo's" are, down there.
I was going to put a "Bull/Roo Catcher" on my F250 4x4 Power Stroke Diesel CrewCab..then the price of fuel got so high..my truck just sits in the car port all the time now (considering a adapation to LPG..gotta love that "fracking")and I do have the deer whistles on all my vehicles.
But then..being priced out of diesel fuel, gives me more $$$/time, to spend riding my Big Assed Bike !

Of Course the collision rate Down Under..may be related to the fact everyone down there drives on the wrong side of the road a lot of time ! ??? ;>0 (i jus couldnt resist)
Well I thought it was you guys that drove on the wrong side of the road.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #10

A study published by the Minnesota DNR in 2006 stated that there was NO scientific evidence that deer whistles had any measurable results.
1) There was no measureable sound emitted by the devices, whether ultrasonic, or other.
2) There was no evidence that deer can detect, or recognize an ultrasonic sound in the frequencies claimed.
3) Dogs, or other animals with acute hearing didn't react to the devices either.
There are other studies, one by the Utah DNR that came to the same conclusions regarding mule deer and whistles.
One time in 2008, I was at a bike blessing event, and a Catholic Priest sprinkled some holy water on my Nomad. I haven't crashed since! Effective rate is 100%. It was free too, although the wing-dingers breakfast was $5.
(I found the gold wing guys to be a bunch of stuck up snobs)

Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I had a set of electric deer whistles on my wing. Never hit a deer. I've seen there ears perk up when they were standing by the road. I know they hear them. They used to drive the neighbors dogs crazy when I turned the key on.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #12

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I would think if the deer whistles really worked, new cars would come with them.
You think too much with your head and not your heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
My cottage area is over run with deer especially in winter. Not uncommon to see a dozen or so at a time hanging out in my back field and all along the roads. Usually when you see one on the roads there is one or more in the bush. If these whistles work in scaring them, great.
But the big flaw is deer don't always have the sense to run away from the road staying on the side they are on. they are just as likely to run across the road before heading into the bush on the other side.
There in lies the problem. The whistles would work, but theys just so many stupid deer.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #13

..Yea muz, from Perth-Down Under
I was in Suriname, South America (formerly Dutch Guiana)..Those guys all drive on the "wrong side" also.. my biggest -handicap- while driving down there was making a turn at a street corner..and then finding myself in the on-coming traffic lane...
..out on the 'frontier' roads...I had no problems !

AND As For "Scientific Study's & Electronic-gee gawz"...From my own -In The Field Testing- It has PROVEN To Be A FACT That my Deer Whistles have worked- so far,..when my GPS has got me lost and run me in circles in the worst situations possible --(ie: In A City during rush hour traffic @ 100 degrees temperatures(f) --UGH !)..And My Tech-o-Tronic Thing-ah-ma-Jig (a double hand me down/cast off...GO PRO Camera)..has wasted hours and hours of my time, and blood-pressure...while NEVER recording a frame of my worthwhile adventures in the wind !

...But ..I always try to remember to keep a high degree of a "Sense Of Humor", when dealing with...tec-o-crap...politics...religion...race relations....and..

I AM NOT HOMOPHOBIC.. (but could be pressed into Homo-cydal ! :>)

(I wonder how long it would take til a short-rotund kaki wearing manfem..want's to kick my ass if I wear that slogan on a t-shirt ! ??)

Did I Ever Tell Ya About The Time I Got Thrown Out Of A Lesbian Bar In Houston Texas ?
It Took 6 of them...short-rotund-kaki clad--ring-o-key's on a chain deviates to get me to the door...(I was being nice to them )...Man ..that place was full of the best looking gals you ever saw...it was "Houston-Hot & Humid"..I just wanted a cold drink...
...Well thats a story for another thread !

And, Well..maybe my sense of humor is a bit to -perverse- to expect any intellectual banter !

Last edited by Silent Sam; 02-08-2014 at 11:30 PM.