Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #46
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
RE: forum freak. I do the same, I guess. (Too bad I have a hard time retaining it for very long. I call it FGS or Forrest Gump Syndrome.)

I finally got a reply from Falcones about the test ride. Standard stuff (motorcycle endorsement, riding gear, sign waiver, etc) then there's the line about a 5 mile test ride. I don't know what they think anybody can evaluate in 5 miles. That's 2.5 miles out and 2.5 miles back. I can't even get out of Indianapolis in 2.5 miles. I'm not even going to waste my time riding to Indy to check one out. If I happen to see one for sale around here (which is unlikely as this is Harley country), I'll see if I can test ride that. If I get a wild hair up my butt next summer, maybe I'll drive to the next nearest dealer (about 120 miles away) and see what they can do for me. Most Victory dealers ask that you don't exceed more than 20 or 30 miles. During Vic demo events, the "test loop" is 8-12 miles and if you really want, you can take it out over and over, ride farther, etc. Victory 1, BMW 0.

I'm done complaining. It is what it is. I appreciate the info.
I sent them an email questioning their 5 mile policy. We'll see. It's not BMW, but the dealer itself.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #47
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I sent them an email questioning their 5 mile policy. We'll see. It's not BMW, but the dealer itself.
I know it's not BMW. I've got no fault with them.

I sent them a response to their email as well.

"I currently ride a Victory Vision (which is worlds different from a sport tourer). I don't even know how well I'd fit on one. I'm not sure what a 5 mile test ride would accomplish. I'd be hard pressed to get out of Indy during a 5 mile loop. Before I purchased my $22k Victory, I test rode one twice (total of about 60 miles, none in a city environment) and went to a Demo Days event where I rode another for a total of an additional 60 miles (or so). After all that, I had a good feel as to whether or not I was a good fit on the bike. Two weeks after the Demo Days event, I bought my brand new Vision."

I don't plan to buy a brand new bike but they don't have to know that. Still, who knows if they come up with a used R1200RT? Not knowing if I even fit on that type of bike, let alone that particular model, means that I wouldn't even look for one. The ball is in their court.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #48
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

"I currently ride a Victory Vision (which is worlds different from a sport tourer). I don't even know how well I'd fit on one. I'm not sure what a 5 mile test ride would accomplish. I'd be hard pressed to get out of Indy during a 5 mile loop. Before I purchased my $22k Victory, I test rode one twice (total of about 60 miles, none in a city environment) and went to a Demo Days event where I rode another for a total of an additional 60 miles (or so). After all that, I had a good feel as to whether or not I was a good fit on the bike. Two weeks after the Demo Days event, I bought my brand new Vision."

I don't plan to buy a brand new bike but they don't have to know that. Still, who knows if they come up with a used R1200RT? Not knowing if I even fit on that type of bike, let alone that particular model, means that I wouldn't even look for one. The ball is in their court.
I guess we'll see if they reply to either of us.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 10-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #49
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

Well, I did get a reply

Hi Jim. I’m sorry you are disappointed in our dealership. We try and offer the best customer service in the motorcycle industry.

I do understand the test ride policy frustration however in many cases we are putting customers out on brand new bikes not demos when “demo” bikes are unavailable. Mileage on brand new bikes must be kept low as you can understand. Due to several issues regarding test rides our insurance company has established guidelines we must adhere such as no two up riding, you must have current motorcycle insurance, full endorsement plus limiting the distance of the test route.

Oh well. May be next year.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #50
Top Contributor

Heh. I got basically the same today.

"
Christopher,

Unfortunately BMW does currently have a demo truck. I do understand the test ride policy frustration however in many cases we are putting customers out on brand new bikes not demos when “demo” bikes are unavailable. Mileage on brand new bikes must be kept low as you can understand. Due to several issues regarding test rides our insurance company has established guidelines we must adhere such as no two up riding, you must have current motorcycle insurance, full endorsement plus limiting the distance of the test route. I hope you understand our policies and again I apologize for any concerns it may have caused you. We hope to convince BMW to re-establish their demo schedule utilizing their demo fleet to better serve our customers. It worked very well in the past however insurance conflicts forced them to stop demo days as well as Triumph and I believe Ducati also. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance."
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads