Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #16

I had a TomTom Rider 2 for several years and liked its features. It allows more user defined control. It didnt do any music and the phone interface sucked. As was mentioned erlier, it doesnt have any audio out jack so it cant be directly attached to speakers or headset unless by bluetooth or BT adapter.

I now use the Garmin Zumo 665 which has simpler features but works very well. It allows using an add in SD card to add space to avoid the freeze mentioned earlier. Move all your media to the card and let the GPS have on board memory. it does BT with my Scala Rider headset or has line out for direct connect to headset/speakers. It allowed me to remove several gadgets from the handlebars. They can be found refurbed for $400-$500 or probably even less now.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
I have had a Garmin Zumo for about 6 years & really like it except.... It froze up on me about a year a half ago. I had bought the lifetime updates & wanted to keep the 550 so they sent me a refurb for about $100, I think, & the lifetime deal goes with the refurb. Cool! On the 2nd refurb update the update tells me the unit does not have enough storage & I must step down to a smaller area. Instead of the lower 48 like I had, I now only have the Eastern US. Nobody told me that would or might happen when they sold me the refurb. I'm a little bummed about that but still love the unit!
I believe that when you are doing a download you can select the things you want instead of downloading the entire update. The things you don't want are like 7 different languages which eats up a lot of space. Go through and delete what you don't use and it should fit.
BTW, if your model had a mini SD card you can clear it and download everything.

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post

Tim... Basecamp is a very clunky program and not worth bothering with IMHO... Try TYRE for route planning - it's designed by riders for riders and seamlessly transfers your routes to either Garmin or Tom Tom. Awesome program, and can be as simple or as complicated as you want.
Paul, I googled TYRE and pasted this from their site.
The free Tyre Basic provides a good basis. And if you want to upgrade to Tyre-Plus or Tyre-Professional you get many extras for a small amount of money.
Which do you use Basic, Tyre-Plus or Tyre-Professional ?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Top Contributor

I have a Tom Tom and it's ok for me

Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
You must have an older version of the TomTom. The version 5 mount is a flat plate on the back of the dock that is held on by 4 screws and transitions to a ram mount.

Bought it in July 2014. The mounting of the 4 screws is the weak point. They screw into brass inserts instead of going all the way through the mount. Within two weeks two of the inserts pulled out of the mount leaving the Tom Tom loose. I was able to unscrew the two allen head screws on the sides, take the mount apart and drill holes through the back of the mount and put longer screws all the way through the back like they should be. It's a lot stronger that way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #21

Thanks for the heads up.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Paul, I googled TYRE and pasted this from their site.
The free Tyre Basic provides a good basis. And if you want to upgrade to Tyre-Plus or Tyre-Professional you get many extras for a small amount of money.
Which do you use Basic, Tyre-Plus or Tyre-Professional ?
I just use the basic (Hey... I'm cheap!). If the scrolling ads on the right side of the window annoy me, I just drag the window over the computer screen a little so they're out of sight.

Basic is easily complicated enough for me - I still don't use anywhere near all the features of the program. They have forums where you can learn more, but I've not spent any time on them.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #23

Here is a forum that has info about learning Garmin BaseCamp

http://forums.delphiforums.com/garminbasecamp/messages

Here are training videos about it Garmin Base Camp

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcente...ning/basecamp/

I used both of these to teach myself how to use Base Camp.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #24

I have the 660 Garmin it's made for a bike I like

the only thing I don't like the xm sounds shitty the I pod has 1000%

better sound, the traffic is nice and the weather works well never had any

problems with it the price is high and add to that price the mount

I bought it at http://www.touratech-usa.com/

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...-Mount-Package
Big air kit, amp, Zumo 665, touratech lock, Kaw GPS holder, Avon grips, handle bar extended, Blue lights all over, cobra trunk rack, kaw rear speakers, kicker upgraded speakers commander 2 tires, dyna beads,

Last edited by Byron; 10-16-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #25

Quote:
I have had a Garmin Zumo for about 6 years & really like it except.... It froze up on me about a year a half ago. I had bought the lifetime updates & wanted to keep the 550 so they sent me a refurb for about $100, I think, & the lifetime deal goes with the refurb. Cool! On the 2nd refurb update the update tells me the unit does not have enough storage & I must step down to a smaller area. Instead of the lower 48 like I had, I now only have the Eastern US. Nobody told me that would or might happen when they sold me the refurb. I'm a little bummed about that but still love the unit!
Add a card to it.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #26

I use an android phone with google maps. Connect through BT on my Sena 10. Works great!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #27

Quote:
For the 550 you can download the maps to the SD card an read them from there, I downloaded the whole of Canada and the US, I also used the built in HD to load my music to and it read the music from there, you can also free up space on the built in HD by getting rid of the crap you don't need like the voice in all the languages and the vehicle symbols you will never use. Just google "how to load the maps to a garmin 550 sd card" and you will get a pile of links.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Last edited by smokey; 10-16-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco View Post
My 2 cents
GARMIN! I started with Garmin 2610 the 2620 ,Power hard wired to my bike.. I now have a NUVI a low end Garmin, ( I have 3 NUVI's I got for my kids) Good customer service The ZUMO are great higher end unit and you can get one for the bike ..$$$ are around 600$ I think.. The non water proof models you can cover with a baggie to keep dry. For the bike I would look for a GPS that you can plug a head phone set into or 1 you can hook up blue tooth speaker for your helmet! I found the Tom Tom alittle harder to use but then I am used to Garmin,, You also want a GPS with LIFETIME updates.. You update 4 times a year! To mount look at RAM mounts or E Bay for off brand mounts
GARMIN also sell refurb units with warranty!
Run a factory reset on the unit. Then store hour music on a sd card. It take a long time to put the new maps on it the first time but I had the same with my 665 and this fixed it

Old 10-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #29

Here is some info on how to free up space on your Garmin
http://www.ehow.com/list_7473769_fil...oved-nuvi.html
http://techchannel.radioshack.com/er...-gps-1955.html

Hope it helps

Old 10-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #30

I have a Garmin 660 for about 6 years and never had a problem other than replacing the battery about 3 months ago. I also purchased a refurbished Garmin 2555LTM on eBay from Garmin for $75. I like it but wish it had bluetooth. I use the 660 on my bike and keep the 2555 in my truck. I bought a waterproof case for it on eBay. The case came with a motorcycle mounting bracket. It was made in China but works pretty good. Cost less than $30.