Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #16

..Under International Laws/Treaty's, of "The New Ethic"...Many things labeled -made in the usa- Are assembled here, while the assembled parts are all made--elsewhere !

Tho I -think- my 02 nomad was "assembled", in Lincoln, Nebraska (!/?)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #17

I've been experimenting with different DIY grip treatments since I bought the bike four years ago, trying for the perfect grip without removing the originals. Still searching. None of the commercially available grips give me what I want.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad ryder View Post
I've been experimenting with different DIY grip treatments since I bought the bike four years ago, trying for the perfect grip without removing the originals. Still searching. None of the commercially available grips give me what I want.
Try foam pipe insulation covered with duct tape in your favorite color. ....:eek:
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Have you tried Grip Buddies or Grip Puppies ?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #20

Try foam pipe insulation covered with duct tape in your favorite color. ....:eek:

Funny you should mention that. I have tried a foam and black duct tape arrangement. it worked OK, but the tape won't stay in place and gets messy. Took a razor blade and WD-40 to get it off. I'll look into Grip Buddies and Puppies.

I was thinking of going to shoe repair guy and have a set of padded leather sleeves made up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #21

Waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Yeah.... I know.... but is just pisses me off. I get so tired of seeing labels that say.... made in China, made in Taiwan, Made in........????? You get my point.

I just bought new grips also, But I went with the Avons..... MADE IN THE USA>>>>
So I'll frame this with 'I'm a Canadian, living in Canada' but literally 12 blocks from a US border.

But I don't get your point. Here's the deal, in Canada the cost for US made goods is roughly 30 percent higher than if I buy it in the US, regardless of what the current exchange rate is. Has nothing to do with duty because we have free trade. So someone on both sides of the border are making pretty decent margins.

Also I know the wages paid in China and Korea and Taiwan are pretty low as is their cost of living so that has a bearing but isn't the answer. I end up buying most everything for my bikes and boat etc (toys) off the internet, mostly not US made but some things are, at a substantially lower cost.

The days of made in XXX meaning instantly substandard products are long gone if you do the proper research and read reviews etc. There is nobody in their right mond that would buy an RCA TV over a Samsung or Sony, because the RCA is a US company who still manufactures some of their TVs in the US.

I ride a Kawasaki, not a Harley or a Polaris, I've had Harleys and it isn't good value to me. Same holds true for the gadgets I buy for the Kawasaki. To buy Avons simply because they are manufatured in the US isn't a good enough argument anymore. If I buy something for 20.00 that Avon charges 60.00 for, that just means I can replace it 3 times to equal the cost Avon charges. And in my experience I haven't found that.

Add to that the original guy who asked the question after your reply did not come back likely means your reply left a bad taste in his mouth too.

Anyway my .02 for what it's worth.

Happy Festivus to all!