Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #1

pls help. loss of power and pinging noise in top gear under load

Hi guys im in australia and have a 99 model nomad 1500 done approx 60000 klm. Im currently travelling interstate about 1800klm. Anyway while riding the whole thing stopped i pulled over and it started again no problems. However towards the end of the day was sitting at 100k/h in top gear and tried to accelerate. The bike would not accelerate and a.loud pinging noise started that coincided with the revs the more i tried to accelerate the louder and quicker the ping got.
I noticed it only had half oil so i topped it up. Does anyone have any ideas.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

Without further info first thing comes to mind, did you pick up some really poor fuel?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

Clutch spring.... Exact way mine was working before I replaced mine.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #4

I's suspect poor fuel also, or improper jetting that gets noticeable at different altitudes.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

I think clutch spring too. When my spring gave out it, the first thing was the bike bucked and skipped. Sounded just like PING, and so being far from home I backed off the throttle. over the next short rides everything was fine, but then I hauled a trailer to camp in Mass and that clutch acted up good on the way down there, but I knew what was wrong and just rode easy. The engine cutting out seems odd to me though.

Also 4th and 5th are both over drives.... You should do all the real accel in 3 rd.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Yeh i had the clutch replaced 3 weeks ago but my gut feeling is the clutch im thinking possibly they didnt do something correct

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieal72 View Post
Yeh i had the clutch replaced 3 weeks ago but my gut feeling is the clutch im thinking possibly they didnt do something correct
"They"

Oh boy, as there are 3 limiter springs that look like regular big washers but they are not regular washers, and need to be placed just so. These washers are cupped they go like this )() . And these can slip out of place pretty easy during assemble and be crushed. When i did mine they slipped several times and then I used grease as a glue.

outside )() to engine side

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
"They"

Oh boy, as there are 3 limiter springs that look like regular big washers but they are not regular washers, and need to be placed just so. These washers are cupped they go like this )() . And these can slip out of place pretty easy during assemble and be crushed. When i did mine they slipped several times and then I used grease as a glue.

outside )() to engine side
That was well explained Mac,i would'nt have known that,and i bet i'm not the only one.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Another thing not found in the How To tips is that mention is made of 1 oil return hold back to the case, but the reality is there are 2.. if any objects get into either of these oil returns it's not gonna be pretty. I found this is one job where at least I had to pay attention. And I am a x foreign car tech. Nothing is difficult really, but these flat wafer washers springs need to be right and if they slip you need to know they did before you tighten things up, or they get crushed. Being a x tech no one else does what i can do better for me. You are a tad off the map being 1/2 way around the world from me, but at times I will do work for certain select few others, but usually when they have a bad problem.

Sometimes wives ask me the damndest questions when I am forced to go to the bike, and I find it saves time for me to sleep there. That doesn't happen much, and usually the bike is transported to me where MY Tools are. ;)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #10

Cheers thanks for the comments

Tags
loss of power, pinging noise, vulcan nomad 1500