Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

stator woes

Well, I thought I had battery issues, but it looks like the outer stator is gone. I followed all of the instructions for testing. I was only getting 12.8-13 volts at the battery at 3000 RPM. After pulling the outer cover, and testing at the plugs, the inner stator is putting out 70 volts, I am not getting any reading on the outer stator. Does it make sense to replace only the outer stator? This looks like a pretty involved project and I only want to do it once. Also, for those of you who have done this, when replacing a stator, should the rectifier/s be replaced at the same time? Any help is appreciated. This is on a 2001 Nomad FI 1500.

Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by shadowcruzer; 04-19-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #2

There should be a test you can do with a multimeter to check your regulator/rectifier. Check the service manual.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 04-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #3

Just swap out the bad one.

For some reason the outer stator is usually the one that fails.

The only difference between the two is the length of the wiring attached to it.

Either buy a used one from ebay or send yours out to be rewound.

Check the reg/recs, but they're likely still good.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #4

I'm also wondering about the alternator; at idle, voltage drops to 12.18, rises to about 12.7 cruising along in third gear, and only gets to 13.5 at what seems to be pretty high revs on my '04 Nomad 1500 FI.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

If it were mine I would dis-connect the ground at the battery and then pull the left side case, and ohms meter the connector there to the pairs of wires and to ground. There should not be a connection to ground on any pair of wires for either stator. Each pair of wire should read 0 resistance for both stators. The rec regs can be checked in ohms too, but you will need the book for details.

If the connectors are toasted that was the original problem. If that is the case still test as the connectors could be the entire fault, and if that happens to be the case cutting the wires and soldering them in place may be the cure.

A voltage test with the engine running for the rec regs there should be w wires reading battery volts, that should be On with just the key On. (dual stators) 1 battery hot wire ON with the key for classics) There is a ground wire So test that with ohms battery disconnected, and the last wire/s should be 1/2 battery volts about about 7 volts (Field)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Stator woes

Success, new stator installed. The old one was a charred black mess. Not a bad job except for cleaning the ripped up gasket. Charging now at 14.5 volts. Ride safe..