Old 04-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Some bloke's are just slow learner's
I'm not.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #32

OMG!!! Yes I remember all the things mentioned in this video. I had both front and rear shocks fail, steering damper fail, rear seal and slave cylinder in the trans case fail leading to new clutch plate, canister-ectomy after near tank crushing vacuum lock, lost the entire right channel on the sound system, both fuel line quick disconnects, broken rear trunk latch ( No replacement, $900 for trunk bottom half), Mirrors kept falling off ( steel fishing leader tether) , needed all 4 spark plug wires replaced ( arcing ). 2 batteries traded for an Rt 2 years later and just finished paying off the credit card bill from all that work and service. My Rt was awesome but I was just to tall for it. Kawasaki is going to be my go brand for now.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I'm not.
debatable mate

Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPusher View Post
OMG!!! Yes I remember all the things mentioned in this video. I had both front and rear shocks fail, steering damper fail, rear seal and slave cylinder in the trans case fail leading to new clutch plate, canister-ectomy after near tank crushing vacuum lock, lost the entire right channel on the sound system, both fuel line quick disconnects, broken rear trunk latch ( No replacement, $900 for trunk bottom half), Mirrors kept falling off ( steel fishing leader tether) , needed all 4 spark plug wires replaced ( arcing ). 2 batteries traded for an Rt 2 years later and just finished paying off the credit card bill from all that work and service. My Rt was awesome but I was just to tall for it. Kawasaki is going to be my go brand for now.
Too tall for the RT? How tall are you? I am 6'5. The only things I did were put the seat in the high position, add bar risers and peg lowering kit. I also added a taller and wider windscreen.

Kawasakis are more reliable for sure, but my RT is a much different bike than the 1600 Nomad I had, which was Kawasaki #4 for me. Right now, there's nothing out there that speaks to me where I say I have to buy it, so I'll wait.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Some bloke's just get lucky

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Too tall for the RT? How tall are you? I am 6'5. The only things I did were put the seat in the high position, add bar risers and peg lowering kit. I also added a taller and wider windscreen.

Kawasakis are more reliable for sure, but my RT is a much different bike than the 1600 Nomad I had, which was Kawasaki #4 for me. Right now, there's nothing out there that speaks to me where I say I have to buy it, so I'll wait.
I"m 6'3". I've had both knees broken in the past so the seating and foot peg position on the Rt made me cramp after about an hour. I even had a 2 inch thick gel pad and the seat in the higher position. I did have bar backs on thee Rt. That helped my shoulders some.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work4crown View Post
So yesterday I was like "Wow, good press for Yamaha..."

Today I see this...

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/04/0...urce=pulsenews

Oh well. At least owner's don't have to pay for it. Unless you consider being banned from riding your new bike a payment of sorts.
That bad part looks like a bottle opener. I would have thought a defective bottle opener would be a much bigger problem for the Harley guys than the Yamaha guys.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Some bloke's just get lucky
Whats funny was the reaction from the local Victory dealer when I pulled into the lot with the LT. " Youre not thinking of trading that thing are you? Nope not touching that". Yeah, good times.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Whats funny was the reaction from the local Victory dealer when I pulled into the lot with the LT. " Youre not thinking of trading that thing are you? Nope not touching that". Yeah, good times.
You'd be better off trading it at a BMW dealer that has a good used inventory or in a multiline dealership or selling it yourself.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #40

I have owned two Harley Ultra's and have not had any more problems with them than I did with my Nomad, or other bikes through the years, if I think about it.

And "no" it is not owner-bias speaking here. I would be honest and bitch about whatever deserves it. I am not hooked to the hip of any brand; especially HD. I only ride what fits my needs for now (a touring machine that a short-person can ride).

Most of my problems with the HD's were recall issues where brake-lights, clutch switches, or other such were replaced. None caused any delay in my trips; except a blown rear shock; which delayed me because of having to order one.

My Nomad had its fair share of small issues as well, to include the brake light switch under the floor board getting dirty and sticking -- or the oil cap seal splitting, causing oil to spew-out all over the lower casing; as well as plenty of other small nuisance problems.

The list can probably go on for both if I think long enough.

On the CR's list however is the Can Am Spyder having the most problems, even more so than BMW's. I can attest to that fact with my experience in owning one. It has almost stranded me several times -- but ultimately never did. Can Am has a long way to go to get their machines up to speed for reliability in my book; especially when considering their price. This is reflected by the chatter on various sites; which has to have Can Am concerned somewhat. However, Can Am continues to be the fastest selling/growing machine out there; as it apparently appeals to the baby-boomers who are having problems on two-wheels and can afford their price.

As a caveat; I do know others who have not had near the hassles with their Spyders as I have with mine. I believe I have all the problems ironed-out now; but it took a while to get there

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Owner Satisfaction/Loyalty

Dropped for BMW and HD, Honda went up and guess who came out on top? Better not tell Brad and Kris:

Owner satisfaction
Brand Would definitely buy again
Victory 80%
Harley-Davidson 72
Honda 70
BMW 68
Can-Am 67
Ducati 66
Yamaha 65
Triumph 63
Kawasaki 59
Suzuki 58
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Dropped for BMW and HD, Honda went up and guess who came out on top? Better not tell Brad and Kris:

Owner satisfaction
BrandWould definitely buy again
Victory80%
Harley-Davidson72
Honda70
BMW68
Can-Am67
Ducati66
Yamaha65
Triumph63
Kawasaki59
Suzuki58
When you only make 10 bikes a year how tough can it be to make a good one?:eek::p
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina